SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#62395 - 02/09/02 04:16 AM Re: Save to SMF's Value
technicsplayer Offline

I don't wish an argument with Peter, but it not so that midi takes up less space than 6000 format, it takes up much more space. You can only get a maximum of say 40 midis on a floppy, put them in the sequencer and you can get maybe 14 to 17 files each file with 7, 8 or 9 songs, thus a minimum of around 100 songs and often more.

It is also arguable that working in gm is easier. Certainly not as easy as an easy record using panel memories. Try changing the backing style of a midi after you have recorded it! Granted, it may be easier if you started out on pc sequencing before you bought your KN and are well versed in the programs, but if you've learnt how to use the KN sequencer first, that may not be the case.

The biggest problem is not being able to play left hand chords and experiment with progressions after having recorded the song, since with the composer you can control 8 tracks at once, which you can't do by switching off multiple tracks of a midi, after the event.

What I think Peter may have been getting at is that the best professionally produced midi files are truly superb and transcend the limitations of the format, something that often amazes. But these tend to been recorded maybe with midi guitars and breath controllers etc. The skill of the player is far more important than the means of delivery.

Also, COMAlite, direct play of type 1 midis is possible because the 6000/6500 does it!

It's also gm2 enabled and has XG and Sound Canvas emulation.

All the info and specs can be read at www.midi.org

Before the great cull of midi download sites by the lawyers it was possible to collect many tens of thousands of files. These ranged from the most basic amateur efforts to some truly superb musicianship.

[This message has been edited by technicsplayer (edited 02-09-2002).]

#62396 - 02/09/02 04:30 AM Re: Save to SMF's Value
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Midi is interesting stuff !
Your link is a great resource Alec, but there
is also some good ones at SZ'z own linkpages,
i.e. http://www.synthzone.com/newusers.htm

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#62397 - 02/09/02 02:02 PM Re: Save to SMF's Value
Sissle Offline

Loc: USA - South Dakota
Hi Bebop & rest,
Even more information to digest! This is a great discussion. Yes, Bebop, send me one of your MIDI files. Preferably one of your own, not somebody elses. Would love to hear how you play. Have heard that you do some excellent stuff and would love to have the opportunity to hear you play.
Carol

#62398 - 02/09/02 05:21 PM Re: Save to SMF's Value
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Sissle:
Hi Bebop & rest,
Even more information to digest! This is a great discussion. Yes, Bebop, send me one of your MIDI files. Preferably one of your own, not somebody elses. Would love to hear how you play. Have heard that you do some excellent stuff and would love to have the opportunity to hear you play.
Carol

Carol, you can go to my web page and play or download a cross section of about 20 songs I have written and recorded. They are in real Audio format (a free download) to keep the files small for website or mailing. They only play in your computer :-( I have several hundred of those also.Web page addy is in my signature below. Just click on it and you are there. It is FREE!
BEBOP
Moderator SynthZone TECHNICS FORUM http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=25
Bill Forrest in SAN JOSE, CALIF. USA
bforrest@ix.netcom.com ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://members.fortunecity.com/bebop1

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 02-09-2002).]

#62399 - 02/09/02 05:53 PM Re: Save to SMF's Value
Sissle Offline

Hi Bebop,
Thanks, I will do that. Appreciate the info.
Carol

#62400 - 02/10/02 10:37 AM Re: Save to SMF's Value
Sissle Offline

Hi BEBOP,
Thanks for the wonderful songs! Your "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain" is absolutely fantastic! I love the way you improvise with your melody --- Oh, to have the talent to do that myself! I am enjoying your songs to the max, and you picked the songs very well for not knowing my tastes! Thanks again!
Carol

#62401 - 02/10/02 11:01 AM Re: Save to SMF's Value
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Sissle:
Hi BEBOP,
Thanks for the wonderful songs! Your "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain" is absolutely fantastic! I love the way you improvise with your melody --- Oh, to have the talent to do that myself! I am enjoying your songs to the max, and you picked the songs very well for not knowing my tastes! Thanks again!
Carol

AHHHH SHUCKS CAROL, You just made my day. Thank you so much for your kind words.
I want to thank you for ALL your posts here on our RENEWED FORUM. You are helping many people that you maybe don't even realize. Thanks also to all those that respond to Carol's Posts. This is the way it is supposed to work. Best to all
BEBOP

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online