SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#62953 - 09/07/02 03:15 AM Re: Checkout my 7000 track
technicsplayer Offline

thanks very much everybody, particularly Nigel who embarasses me from such a 'pro'!

The Yazoo original was the best, Alison Moyet a great vocalist and Vince Clarke a very talented writer. The song was another hit several years later here by the Flying Pickets, a short lived all vocal group. Many regarded this version as rather kitsch, but I thought it rather good, without surpassing the original.

#62954 - 09/07/02 03:34 AM Re: Checkout my 7000 track
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Good One Alec Sounds great through the KN7000.

Shirley, as Johnnie says - Just BUY one!! Hell! what's money for? Enjoy yourself

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#62955 - 09/07/02 03:39 AM Re: Checkout my 7000 track
Alain Offline

Loc: De Panne , Belgium
Hello Alec,
Well done indead....I can't wait to have mine...any days now.

Can we expect some more tracks....would be nice.
Thanks again,
Alain

#62956 - 09/07/02 07:45 AM Re: Checkout my 7000 track
technicsplayer Offline

thanks again. If you think that sounds good through 7k Willum, you should hear the drums on Lord of the Dance!

#62957 - 09/07/02 09:48 AM Re: Checkout my 7000 track
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Alec: I really enjoyed your rendition of Yazoo's 1999 hit, 'Only You'. Very cool & innovative indeed. I especially like the way you used the KN7000's terrifc sounds (ooh's and ahh's) and the way you sequenced constrasting rhythms with each other. Your tune really highlights how 'technically precise' and musically creative you are. Did you record this song entirely on the KN7000's hardware sequencer? Which KN7000 auto accompament style and specific KN7000 sounds did you use? I assume you recorded different parts (multi-tracking) with subsequent rec takes, right? Did you use step record or were all takes recorded in real time? It appears quantizing was applied to give your song that cool robotic (techno) feel. Perhaps you could share (with us) your recording method (sequencing steps). Alec, thanks again for sharing your music. Bravo! - Scott

#62958 - 09/07/02 12:47 PM Re: Checkout my 7000 track
technicsplayer Offline

thanks very much, Scott - no multitracking, a straight easy recording in one take from 8 panel memories and a handful of composers on the KN sequencer. The point is to try and show how an easy recording can be made to sound like a midi file using the features available. Therefore it can be played live exactly as here using a couple of footswitches to change panel memories and trigger fills, or just with a control track if footswitches are not available. This type of demo was intended to go with the other demos for the book to show how a one finger player with a handful of chords under his belt could produce a sound from these boards with a little understanding of the features, as an encouragement to experiment.

The composers were 16 measures in length to accommodate the counter melodies for each verse/chorus/middle 8, self constructed. The guitar obbligato was two measures stolen from a midi file. The rest of the backing was played into the composer by listening to the two Yazoo and Flying Pickets MP3 versions as a general guide, and thus is a sort of amalgam of the two. A rhythm track was stolen from a pad and copied into a composer track and thinned out a little. The most complicated composers were constructed, then panel memories used to mute tracks for the earlier parts of song.

Sounds are just conductor layers of presets (no sound edits in this one) with suitable dsps assigned. All work was done purely with KN menus, the only PC involvement was the recording and conversion of the final output wave file.

There was no quantising on melody or most of the composer tracks, this song is pretty rhythmically precise, and anyway I am only an amateur player.

#62959 - 09/07/02 01:03 PM Re: Checkout my 7000 track
Bill Norrie Offline

Alec, I've got the original River Dance, 'Lord of the Dance' and all the follow-up video recordings as well. Being a Scot, I just love the Celtic music and in particular, the band which features in these performances. However, good as they sound on my TV set, I'm sure you are referring to either a DVD, CD or some other computer compatible recording. Do Tell...........

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#62960 - 09/07/02 01:25 PM Re: Checkout my 7000 track
technicsplayer Offline

apologies, Willum, I was not clear. I was talking about the Lord of the Dance demo done on the 65 a little while ago http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/000540.html , when played on the 7k.

#62961 - 09/07/02 01:46 PM Re: Checkout my 7000 track
Bill Norrie Offline

Thanks Alec, I'll go and get it

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#62962 - 09/07/02 04:55 PM Re: Checkout my 7000 track
Shirley Warwick Offline

Loc: Dartmouth, Devon
Johnnie and Willum,

Thanks for your encouragement. Hoping to try out the 7k in the next week or so. Also, will be attending the Organ/Keyboard Festival at Sinah Warren in early October so I can make my final decision then, if I can wait that long

Shirley.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online