SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#63640 - 09/16/02 10:39 AM NEW KN6000 & KN7000 Songs
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Friends,
In his lyrics for Hoagy Carmichael’s “Georgia On My Mind”, Stuart Gorrwell wrote, “Melodies bring memories that linger in my heart”. I love all the new music that is coming on the scene. Well, I love the rhythms, especially the latin beats, but WHERE ARE THE MELODIES ?

In looking for a new project to work on, I thought it might be interesting to select some of the wonderful melodies from the 30’s through the 90’s from composers like Ellington and Rodgers, Kern and Mancini, soft rocker David Gates and film music giants John Williams and James Horner and utilize different rhythms that we are not used to hearing with these songs. Why not try a little Hip Hop or some beats from the classics?

I KNOW, I KNOW is sounds a little weird. But, my friends and family request that I focus on the Easy Listening CD’s that they enjoy the most. So, once again you will find that this is a pretty laid back collection with a number of new intros, endings and solos which I hope you will be able to use for your own creative efforts.

FOR YOU KN7000 PEOPLE, I’m happy to report that all the files play without the need for any changes. This is due to the very wise suggestions from Bob Hendershot regarding song file preparation along with a few of my own ideas. I’ll have more on the 7K as time permits.

A number of you have written me asking why I don’t post more songs. All I can say is that I’m a rather poor player and this stuff takes me a long time to do. This project has taken over two months to complete. And, I’m happy to tell you that even though I love my music activity I have a regular life to live. In any case given my two months of work, why don’t you take a few minutes and tell us what melody and rhythm combinations you would find interesting. Let’s take a short break from the technology and talk about the music.

If you would like a copy of the “In Search of a Melody” songs just e-mail me at frankbez@aol.com and I’ll zip them on to you.

Frank

#63641 - 09/16/02 03:53 PM Re: NEW KN6000 & KN7000 Songs
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Frank,

Thank you for sending your latest creations. I've listened to all of them this evening. Your arrangements make listening a real pleasure. I recommend that all of our forum friends add your "In Search of a Melody" collection of songs to their growing library of music created by forum members on KN keyboards. The collective genius of the members is amazing.

Thanks again, Frank, for the pleasure of having and listening to your music.

Most Sincerely, Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chuck Piper (edited 09-16-2002).]

#63642 - 09/18/02 01:58 PM Re: NEW KN6000 & KN7000 Songs
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Frank, I've always advocated using unusual styles for familiar songs. I like to push the limits, as I did for the Christmas songs and a lot of the gospel styles. When the music sheet calls for 3\4 styles, use a 4\4 rhythm instead, or just about anything that seems to catch your interest. We have to remind ourselves that we are the arrangers and performers of every song we record, so the style is always our choice and we can DARE to be different!! Get rid of humdrum music and put a little excitement back into the piece. Sometimes a catchy bass line will do the trick, but whatever it is, if it causes people to tap their toes, they will remember it and look for more. I've done gospel, country, latin, Beatles, Elvis, patriotic, old standards, easy listening, kid's songs, and Christmas music, and now I'll try my hand at some Polkas, but since I only have 8 different songs, that shouldn't take long. If you always use a different style for each song you do, listeners won't get tired of your music, and thanks to the net and a few choice sites, we have enough styles to last for years. Imagination is the key, though. Let it run free and your music will always be interesting. Keep up the good work! Bud

#63643 - 09/18/02 07:22 PM Re: NEW KN6000 & KN7000 Songs
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Bud, I've enjoyed the work you have done in getting arrangements together, and I agree that one should push the boundaries if it makes the music more enjoyable. However, personally I draw the line at changing the time signature. Maybe that's because I've spent a few years learning lots of ballroom dance steps. It reminds me of a friend's wedding my wife and I were invited to, and the MC announced the bridal waltz, and then the band struck up a piece in 4/4 time. That didn't worry the bride and groom - they couldn't dance anyway.

So if I know a piece was written in 3/4 time then that's how I like to play it and hear it. Just my thoughts, but keep up the good work you do.

Mike

#63644 - 09/18/02 09:12 PM Re: NEW KN6000 & KN7000 Songs
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Frank,
I've received and listened to your fabulous arrangements of some really great songs. I hope you will never try to tell us you are not a truly fine performer, for indeed these examples of your work definitely prove otherwise! Thank you so much for sharing with us via the ZIP files. If only I could even approximate your great talent! Sigh! Anytime you want to share more, I, for one, wait with baited breath (and ears!). Perhaps you might prepare some Christmas arrangements of pop tunes that are immortal (e.g. White Christmas; Christmas Song--Chestnuts roasting...; Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, etc.) Just a suggestion, Frank (or others who share with us all)! Bud, above, mentioned something about his arrangements of Christmas songs but I am unaware of them. More info, Bud?!

Also, welcome to autumn, everyone. This weekend, as the seasons change, the days grow shorter and colder (at least here in the midwest USA) and we need the joy of music more and more each day! Greetings to you all.

Ted Rose

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 09-18-2002).]

#63645 - 09/19/02 01:25 PM Re: NEW KN6000 & KN7000 Songs
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Ted, I did a block of Christmas songs last November and put them up for adoption on the old forum site. I will email you a zip copy. I also did a set of Patriotic songs and they are still available on Frank's site, http://www.Kool-Keys.com, along with many other fine songs by various people. The gospel styles are included on the 20-4-1 disks that Bebop puts out. There are 59 songs in that offering and I've just finished them up. Plenty of styles to keep you busy through the coming winter.

#63646 - 09/20/02 12:09 PM Re: NEW KN6000 & KN7000 Songs
Brian Goodison Offline

Loc: Bridlington. East Yorkshire.En...
Many thanks Frank for sending your songs.
If anyone as'nt sent for Franks songs yet . What are you waiting for? ,they are great

Regards

Brian

#63647 - 09/20/02 04:14 PM Re: NEW KN6000 & KN7000 Songs
Paulyn Offline

Loc: Cathedral City, CA, USA
Salut Frank,
I would love to have your songs. All the comments are so complimentary.
Merci, bonne journee
Pauline

#63648 - 09/20/02 05:07 PM Re: NEW KN6000 & KN7000 Songs
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi Pauline,
The e-mail address in your profile doesn't work. Please tell me where to send the songs.
Frank

#63649 - 09/23/02 12:44 PM Re: NEW KN6000 & KN7000 Songs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great arranging (Hollywood influence shows) and I see nothing wrong in using rythms other than the norm...different flavor for a different mood.
Thanks Frank.

Fran in Florida

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online