SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68761 - 06/24/09 06:02 AM Why do I love my Kn7000 (Kn6500)
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Let’s give our reasons for loving our Kn7000 and list the features from another keyboards hat you wish were on the Kn7000.

I find that there people out there that would like to know what we are experiencing with our keyboard -- they are looking for a direction.

Important features would be:
1-Instrument sound.
2-Feel of the instrument.
3-Sequencer.
4-Your overall feeling – it makes me feel like _____________
5-And whatever you feel is important to you.

John C.

#68762 - 06/24/09 08:36 AM Re: Why do I love my Kn7000 (Kn6500)
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
After hearing the sounds of some of the other kbs, I think my kn6000 has SOME sounds that are superior - ie, the saxophones ... However, I find the guitar sounds on some of the newer kbs to be excellent and superior to the kn ...

My kn6 feels solid ad I prefer the keyfeel to that of the yammies ...

Hearing some of the complaints of other kb owners, I think the sequencer on the kn must be superior - but this is a subjective opinion, based not on actual comparison, but on the complaints of others ...

I feel the same way about the 'on the fly' editing capabilities of the kn ...

I really feel good playing the kn6000 - it is user friendly, and a solid piece of gear ...

Wish list for my kn 6:
Ability to record audio (vocals) on the kb ...
USB connectivity ...

Ability to 'mark' different parts of a song file so that I could go back to the 'bridge' or go to 'second ending' when I want to ...

Ability to 'string' song files together with NO break in between ...

Faster loading of song files ...

Just my 2 cents worth ...
t.

#68763 - 06/24/09 10:05 AM Re: Why do I love my Kn7000 (Kn6500)
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
Let’s give our reasons for loving our Kn7000 and list the features from another keyboards hat you wish were on the Kn7000.

I find that there people out there that would like to know what we are experiencing with our keyboard -- they are looking for a direction.

Important features would be:
1-Instrument sound.
3-Sequencer.
4-Your overall feeling – it makes me feel like _____________

John C.

I agree with Tony Mads - some of the sounds are still better than the latest boards. English horn is the sweetest sound on any board and Oboe beats any other make. French Horns in a class of its own (with some real depth) and the Cornet & Brass band are the only really lifelike brass samples.

In my opinion, the KN7 is still the nearest thing to the perfect keyboard ever made and it has a first class operating system.

I would be content with ALMOST all of the same features it has now - All I would ask for in a new KN7 is 3 voices on the right hand and 2 on the left hand. The Panel Memory buttons from the KN6000 / 6500 and the ability to load new sound samples for the few areas where the sound palette could be improved i.e. Solton/Ketron strings and Roland choirs are fantastic.
Tony

#68764 - 06/24/09 05:04 PM Re: Why do I love my Kn7000 (Kn6500)
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
My Thoughts :

1-Instrument sound.
I am mostly happy with the Built In sounds although I do occasionally tweak them using the Sound Editor - a very powerful facility which allows the user to layer up to 4 basic sound samples to produce very complex sounds. Also, with the wide variety of Digital Effects available, you can produce some really interesting sounds.
I recently had the opportunity to spend some time on a Tyros 3 and I must say that I was 'Knocked Out' by the Super Articulation sounds! I'm sure that had there been a KN8000, this kind of technology would have been included - but under a different name of course............ But, excellent as these sounds are, this would not justify my purchase of a Tyros 3.

I have always preferred the 'feel' of the keys on the Technics instruments, compared to other manufacturer's instruments. The layout of the controls is always very logical - although the circular configuration of the Panel Memory buttons on the KN7000, took a bit of getting used to, after having them in a linear format on all the previous models. However, I'm quite happy with the Panel Memory layout now...........
Comparing the KN7000 with my albeit brief experience of the Tyros 3, I did not like the Operating System at all.

3-Sequencer.
I could ramble on about the virtues of the Sequencer and fill several pages. Suffice it to say that without a doubt, it is the most user friendly and versatile sequencer I have ever used, for simple sequencing, full 16 track sequencing and editing.

4-Your overall feeling.
It just makes me feel totally at ease no matter how I wish to use it.

The Composer facility is again the best I have come across on any instrument. I use it for the greatest majority of songs/tunes which I play - live or recording - to construct styles either from scratch or modify existing styles. I bought a Tyros 1 shortly after they were released, to complement my Technics keyboard, however, trying to modify or build a style from scratch on the Tyros, was a Nightmare, compared to the Technics models. I kept it for about three months and then sold it.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68765 - 06/24/09 06:05 PM Re: Why do I love my Kn7000 (Kn6500)
bruno123 Offline

My Thoughts (Bill Norrie)

1-Instrument sound.
I am mostly happy with the Built In sounds although I do occasionally tweak them using the Sound Editor - a very powerful facility which allows the user to layer up to 4 basic sound samples to produce very complex sounds. Also, with the wide variety of Digital Effects available, you can produce some really interesting sounds.

Bill I would love to learn more about the above subject. And as usual your post covered the subject well. I did feel a little pain when you wrote, “the Tyros, was a Nightmare, compared to the Technics models. I kept it for about three months and then sold it”. I took a different turn, I was so impressed with all the technology that I sold my Kn7000.Ouch!

John C.

#68766 - 06/25/09 02:39 AM Re: Why do I love my Kn7000 (Kn6500)
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I would also like to hear more about sound layering. One of my gigs is playing dances with a " second time around" band. Depending on the season, I am called upon to back up and solo various sections; woodwinds, brass, organ etc . I have made up several sections using R1,R2,Left, and techni-chord.

I know that orchestraion is an art form, and subjective,but wonder if I am missing some method of making my sections fuller. BTW I also use part 4 in Techni-chord, as well as others.

Bernie

#68767 - 06/25/09 04:40 AM Re: Why do I love my Kn7000 (Kn6500)
bruno123 Offline

A KEYBOARD MUST SATISFY THE INDIVIDUALS NEEDS.
Please excuse the length of this post, when I am into something I love it’s hard to be brief.

I played professional guitar close to forty years. Studied every phrase of guitar including classical. I gave lessons and supported my family with my guitar. I had the best of guitars, accurate, easy to play and a beautiful tone. The guitar was a hand made, when I sold it there was enough money to buy a new car and still have some extra dollars. When I used that guitar in my band it was worthless. The beauty/value of the guitar was over come by the bas, drums and sax, what was left sounded terrible. Hold that thought.

In order to answer the question “Why do I love the Kn7000” I need to do a comparison with a Yamaha Tyros keyboard. Please correct if I have miss quoted.

Storage:
Kn7 – A SD card or a very expensive hard drive.
Tyros – Memory stick (Thumb drive) Storage is limited to the size of the memory stick. That means every thing that is in your computer can be carried to the keyboard.

Set ups for songs:
Kn7 – Favorites, memory banks and the SD card.
Tyros – Music Finder. The capacity is approximately 2500 songs. You can delete and create your own. There is a main page with all the songs – a Favorite page and two pages used for a search. The song titles can be displayed alphabetically, by tempo, or by style. The order can be changed, A to Z or Z to A, ect. You can add a code to each song which will allow you to do a search on using the code. Da = dance. BB = Big Band. SR = Seniors. Each search brings the code category. The codes/categories are unlimited and you can place the same song in the code areas. Locate the song, press one button and the keyboard is ready to play with your selected intro, variation and tempo.

Panel Memory:
Kn7 – Select normal or extended – 104 memory areas.
Tyros – You do not select normal or extended. When you press the save button a display is shown which allows you to choose the parameters you want. Tempo, Transpose, style, ect. This means memory #1 and memory #2 can be totally different in what they have saved. The number is limited to the size of the memory stick.

Sequencer: -- NO CONTEST – Not even close, The Kn 7 is the friendliest and it covers all the needs I will ever have.

Pads:
Kn7 – Six and then reload from the SD card.
Tyros – Four pads with instant reload. You can play all the pads at the same time – you can chose a pad select and then another pad group and press a new selection and it will play the original selection with the new selection. Storage unlimited – Memory disk.

Sequencer playback – No Contest, the Tyros offers many options.

Music or lyric display -- No Contest, the Tyro offers many options. One memory button will call up the sequenced song, my keyboard setup, and the lyrics.

Styles: -- No Contest – The Tyros can hold as many styles as you can fit in your memory stick – and the can be called up by using the memory panel, no loading to be done. The amount of keyboard support and styles are unbelievable.

Controls and features – Again no contest – The Tyros offers the features of as advanced mixer – A workable Volcalizer with it’s own mixer, and an EQ which is works better.

There is more but enough said – Now why do I love the KN7.

The Kn7 was created to play the music that I love and understand. Cole Porter, Berlin, Glenn Miller -- There’s my heart, I am a senior. With all the goodies on the Tyros the Kn7 over all sound can not be duplicated. The Tyros was created for a different purpose. It is like listening to a Big Band of today play Glen Miller, the feel is gone, the younger musicians did not live it. The Kn7 IS ONE OF A KIND and sad to say like many of the beautiful things that seniors enjoy, it is no longer in production. I am enjoying my Kn5000, it’s surprising how good it is. If all goes well I will find another Kn7000.

John C.

#68768 - 06/25/09 04:49 PM Re: Why do I love my Kn7000 (Kn6500)
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
And there you have it in a nutshell John C. The Tyros 3 is a good keyboard in its own right but for me it's too time consuming and after 4 months of ownership, I really haven't played it that much because of this fact.

Now my KN7 and My Technic PR900 piano, are irresistable. Whether I'm dusting them or just walking past them, I just have to stop and have a 'little' play which invariably
goes on for hours. The User Friendliness,
the touch and feel of the keys, the sounds and styles, still very much appeal and for me there is absolutely no comparison with the T3.

Audrey

#68769 - 06/26/09 03:46 AM Re: Why do I love my Kn7000 (Kn6500)
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Audrey - Amen to your comments

John and Bernie - I'll get back to you with reference to the Sound Layering - I'm not too well at present and can't get to my KN7000..........

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68770 - 06/26/09 11:21 AM Re: Why do I love my Kn7000 (Kn6500)
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Bill-I hope it isn't anything serious. Take care of yourself above all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online