SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#69551 - 11/26/09 02:22 AM Re-'Keyboard & My Music Gifts'
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Hi John,

With reference to your recent post 'Keybaord & My Music Gifts':- All the points raised were of course, very valid. And it's true, that many 'ear' players who do not need a single note of written music to be able to sit down and play whatever they wish, possibly express and 'emote' their playing more than the average 'reader'- amateur or semi-pro.

But, I felt that the debate missed out on one very important aspect of all playing. namely:- The use of 'chords'. - This aspect of playing can make or destroy the playing. The chords used by the player to play any song, are absolutey vital, as to how the playing sounds. Change the chords, and you change the piece. Many good players do not sound as good as they should, because they fall short in their application of chords. Example - many 3 chord songs could actually be expressed with the playing of at least 15 chords instead of 3. And in doing so, make the piece more interesting, stimulating, and more musically challenging.

It therefore follows, that the application of chords by the player, the chords he/she choses to use, form a major part of how the playing will sound. Whilst it might be true to say, that the average listener, has no conception of 'chord-work', the fact remains, that their enjoyment of a song may very well be based upon the interpretation of chords used by the player.

If you were to give a rendering of '3 Blind Mice' all accompanied by minor chords, it would undoubtedly sound somewhat dreary. But give the same piece chorded accompaniment of majors-sevenths-9ths-augmented and diminshed, might well mean that those listeners who disliked the 'minor' version, would love the alternative version.

Therefore, in my humble opinion, the chords used by the player to accompany any song etc, is the most vital factor applied to the playing. - So, bring back chord-work I say. ! Chords 'MAKETH' the music. Exactly as per Rachmaninov and all his classical companions. - Cheers,

Colin.

#69552 - 11/26/09 02:54 AM Re: Re-'Keyboard & My Music Gifts'
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Very good. I agree.

#69553 - 11/26/09 03:03 AM Re: Re-'Keyboard & My Music Gifts'
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Therefore, in my humble opinion, the chords used by the player to accompany any song etc, is the most vital factor applied to the playing. - So, bring back chord-work I say. ! Chords 'MAKETH' the music. Exactly as per Rachmaninov and all his classical companions. - Cheers,
Colin.

Hi Colin, It’s great hearing from you. As for your thoughts about the importance of chords there is no one I know more qualified than you and your music certainly shows that to be true. I find that when you have added 12 chords to the 3 chords already in the music, or replaced them you have that which helps to bring your personal feeling into the music, the song becomes more of you. After a period of doing this you do not accept the written chords any longer. As a guitar player I learned that your chords must tell a story as your melody tells a story.

Missed your posts and your music. Is your music available in Mp3 format.

John C.

#69554 - 11/26/09 04:56 AM Re: Re-'Keyboard & My Music Gifts'
The Leans Offline

Hi John,

Firstly, my thanks for your kind words. - My apparent 'absence' from the SZ scene has not in any way reduced my love of music. Even though my playing and sequencing have now almost come to a grinding halt.

In consequence, and to answer your question - although I have all my sequences stored in my computer as MP3 files, my computer knowledge is so limited, that I have no idea how to put such files online so that people might be able to listen to them, or download them. - In any event, it's never occured to me that anybody might want to listen to them. I sequence (or, did sequence) purely for my own pleasure. And in the main, for the challenge of doing my own arrangements. - However, it was nice of you to ask.

In regard to your own comments on this subject - I most certainly hold the view, like you, that the personal selection of what chords to use when playing any song, has to result in being part of the 'personal expression and feeling'. - I wonder what others think. ?

And are we really talking here, of theories that might only be applicable to true 'ear' players. ? - I personally, have no idea as to whether 'trained readers' change their chord-work from the original so as to enhance their playing. ? I wonder. ?

Colin.

#69555 - 11/26/09 11:59 AM Re: Re-'Keyboard & My Music Gifts'
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Wheras, I'm a garden variety reader, playing mostly the given chords, I make changes, as well as adding chords. Fake books are only a rough skeletal quide at best. For example, I might change a G7 chord to G7AUG for added tension. The big boys come up with chords that would knock your socks off. There is a chord for every movement of the left hand and ear players could well be doing the same thing, except they have no given name for it.
Bernie

#69556 - 11/26/09 04:36 PM Re: Re-'Keyboard & My Music Gifts'
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Whilst I agree with most of what is being said here, I do think that if we all stuck rigidly to the music, it would become very boring. To change or 'tweak' chords etc., makes the music more interesting and colourful. I also think changing styles to certain types of music, adds to the interest. As an example, I have been playing 3 Blind mice to a boogie rhythm since I was 8 years old (and no! I'm not going to tell you how many moons ago that is) To this day, it still surprises people when I play it to a boogie rhythm. As Bernie said, for some of us the given chords are just a guideline.

Having said all that, for me,there is nothing more pleasurable than hearing a good piano played by a first class pianist, whatever type of music is being played.

Audrey

#69557 - 11/26/09 05:28 PM Re: Re-'Keyboard & My Music Gifts'
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by The Leans:
Hi John,

..... my playing and sequencing have now almost come to a grinding halt.

- although I have all my sequences stored in my computer as MP3 files, my computer knowledge is so limited, that I have no idea how to put such files online so that people might be able to listen to them, or download them. -

... the personal selection of what chords to use when playing any song, has to result in being part of the 'personal expression and feeling'. - I wonder what others think. ?

... I personally, have no idea as to whether 'trained readers' change their chord-work from the original so as to enhance their playing. ? I wonder. ?

Colin.

Colin ...
1) ... unless this is due to some illness or other tragedy - and I pray that is not the case - there is no excuse for not playing ... I hope you get back to it very soon ...

2) ... file sharing is SO easy, even I have been able to do it ... basically, you go to a file sharing web site such as any of the ones I've listed below ... you drag and paste - or whatever - your file to the designated place on the file share web site ... follow the simple instructions, and then provide people with the link to get to your files ... it is really easy ...
http://www.box.net/
http://www.yousendit.com/
http://www.4shared.com/
http://www.rapidshare.com/

3) ... 'replacement' or 'lead-in' chords certainly allow the performer to put his or her individual 'stamp' on the performance ... PROVIDED they are the proper replacement or lead-in chords ...

4) ... being a 'trained reader', I often use replacement or lead-in chords in a song ... however, I do agree that 'ear' players have a unique ability in this regard ...
I have often been frustrated by not being able to find the right combination of notes to play what I am hearing in my head ...

Along with enhancing a song with different chords, I also find it enjoyable when during an 'ad-lib' solo, a player adds in 'lines' from another song that utilizes the same chord structure in a certain passage ... I have been told that this is called "using quotes", as in 'quoting' the notes from another song ...

Hopefully, we will hear some of your music in the near future ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 11-26-2009).]

#69558 - 11/26/09 07:10 PM Re: Re-'Keyboard & My Music Gifts'
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Colin,
Recently I listen to Hector Olivera play “Through the Eyes of Love” it was beautiful. I listened again in the evening; I went to my keyboard and after 20 minutes I had programmed the keyboard as I remembered hearing earlier. I recorded the song and was so surprised, it was beautiful errors and all, I captured the feeling. No it was not anything close to Hector’s but it sounded so good.

I am writing this thinking of you my friend. Your talent is waiting for something to turn the feeling on again. We stop using our talent when we run dry – a new idea, or possibly a different song, find whatever it takes. Mom always said don’t waste anything that’s good.

I feel that Tony Mads has a great idea, put your Mp3 recordings on box.net. If you have difficulty in placing them on box.net send me your songs and I will put them on for you.

There is another thought about sharing your music and that is our friend Bill Norrie, he may be able to help you share your music.

John C.

#69559 - 11/27/09 03:25 AM Re: Re-'Keyboard & My Music Gifts'
The Leans Offline

Hi John,

Thanks for your kind offer to take some of my stuff, and put it online. The various factors in doing so (or not), can be better explained to you via e-mail. So, watch out for my missive in the next few days.

Now for a confession. - I've never heard of the song 'Through The Eyes Of Love'. Which just goes to show, that my planet isn't planet earth. !! - I've now picked the song up from Spotify, sung by Melissa Manchester. And what a nice song it is. Glad to hear you gave it a go.

Colin.

#69560 - 11/27/09 03:35 AM Re: Re-'Keyboard & My Music Gifts'
The Leans Offline

Hi Tony,

Re - 'Replacement/lead-in chords'. - in view of John's later post 'Knowledge To Share', I'm posting a response, which gives my view on the subject.

Re - 'Using Quotes'. - I to, have never heard this expression. Although I've actually done the deed myself. For example:-

The first 8 bars of 'How High The Moon' can be perfectly accompanied by the first 8 bars of a song called 'Call Me'. -- To expand further on this subject, perhaps I could send you an e-mail. T'would explain my position on matters far better than any post could do. - Cheers,

Colin.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online