SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#79091 - 04/24/00 02:57 PM Tuning the 303
MYSTR0 Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ, USA
I no longer have the users guide for the 303; I remember that the 303 can be tuned to match the pitch of an instrument or records; Can anyone offer any insight on how to do this?
Thnx, Jeff

#79092 - 05/31/00 08:38 AM Re: Tuning the 303
jessica Offline

Loc: Long Island City, Queens, NY, ...
Hi Mystro!

Okay, now I'm not really sure of what exactly you're asking for. When you say tuning the 303's pitch to match the pitch of an instrument or record...why don't you just use the tuning knob?

I'm sure I've been misled by your query because the query itself, nor the answer to it, just couldn't be so cut-&-dry.

Hey, considering that you mentioned you no longer have the user's guide...are you maybe referring to the section of the user's guide, where it has a couple of diagrams on how to emulate the sounds of some instruments such as the electric, acoustic, and synthsized basses?

Or, are you asking how you should go about going "under the hood" of the 303 and playing around with its pots in order to modify its capabilities to successfully reach emulation of certain instruments?

Okay, let me know.

Jessica

#79093 - 05/31/00 10:24 AM Re: Tuning the 303
MYSTR0 Offline

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for getting back to me. What I'm trying to do is actually change the pitch of the tones to be in tune with records; I remember that you can use a combination of the function keys to be able to adjust the pitch. I don't mean transposing; that can be done using the transposition feature; it changes the key up or down in increments of a half-step, however the general pitch stays the same for each tone. For example I could be in A and transpose up to C, but the "C" in both keys is the same. I'm trying to adjust the pitch so that "C" sounds like "C" that I hear on the record. That means adjusting the pitch in increments of quarter tones, etc. I vaguely remember seeing it done. Lots of synths have this feature, but I could be wrong about the MC-303 having it. I appreciate any feedback you might have. Thanks again.

Jeff

#79094 - 05/31/00 01:13 PM Re: Tuning the 303
jessica Offline

Hi Jeff!

All right, now I've got it. I know exactly what you're talking about!

This is basically tuning to a note...

First, set the mode to pattern play.
Then, while you hold the pitch mode button down, press the key in which you want the note's pitch to be. (A, B, C, etc.)
And, finally, adjust the tune of the note with the tuning knob to the pitch of the external source.

And there you have it!
I hope this is the information you were asking for.

Okay, bye!
Jessica

#79095 - 05/31/00 01:25 PM Re: Tuning the 303
jessica Offline

Whoopsie!
I just caught that line in your last reply...the one about you not being sure of the MC-303 having such a function.
Because you were referring to the MC-303 as simply "303," I automatically thought you were talking about the TB-303. I never really hear anyone calling the MC-303 anything but "MC-303."
Sorry about that.
Totally disregard my last response.
I wish I could help you with this one, but, I really don't know much about the MC-303.
Byeeee!
Jessica

#79096 - 05/31/00 02:03 PM Re: Tuning the 303
MYSTR0 Offline

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for the response; actually, what you were saying is on the right track from what I remember; although its not the exact same process, its close enough that I think I remember how to do it. Don't forget that the TB-303 is just the oldschool analog; the MC-303 is a copy. Thanks for the insight; I really appreciate it!

Jeff

#79097 - 06/01/00 08:04 AM Re: Tuning the 303
jessica Offline

Hey Jeff!

Great then!
I'm glad the info was helpful!
Yes, true...the MC-303 is somewhat (roughly speaking) of a second generation of the TB-303. But, I wasn't so sure of how the two corresponded...I take it that they do very well.
Okay, if you have any other questions, I'll be more than happy to try my best answering them!

Jessica

#79098 - 06/26/00 01:19 PM Re: Tuning the 303
BLACKLEMON Offline

Loc: BANGKOK THAILAND
TUNING is not TRANSPOSING !
to TUNE ( modify the basic A key 440 Hz to an other mis-tuned instrument or record ):

-Press " Shift" and the pad 16 "System"
- you'll see "tUn.....40.0 " (means A key 440HZ)
- rotate the Dial to adjust to the A key you hear on the other instrument or record ( not so easy hé hé!)
---> 41 = 441 Hz or 39 =439 Hz )If the tape is to slow i.e try 38 or 39 ,if it's too speed try 45 or more...
-when you're finished ( some hours ?) press exit...

this is TUNING the 303 (mc) not transposing
ok ?

>> Techno-iD Gran'Pa <<
http://www.ifrance.com/techno-id

#79099 - 06/26/00 01:23 PM Re: Tuning the 303
BLACKLEMON Offline

you said :
"This is basically tuning to a note..."

Oh NO ! you talk about TRANSPOSING here....
see my post downstairs...(smile)
<<>>

#79100 - 06/28/00 01:02 PM Re: Tuning the 303
jessica Offline

Hi Blacklemon!

Nope...
Regarding TB-303's, the directions I gave is on how to tune, definitely not transpose.

Byeeee!

Jess

#79101 - 07/27/00 11:43 PM Re: Tuning the 303
BLACKLEMON Offline

Hi!

unfortunately, i never had the chance to meet any TB303 on my way (crying)...
but i am so happy to inform you, Analog's Lover, that i 've had the incredible chance to find a nice and fresh SH101, red, in here, in Bangkok, Thailand...(No vintage synthies in here..."normally")
but...it needs to be...TUNED also
Smiles
bLaCkLeMoN http://www.ifrance.com/techno-id

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online