SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#80958 - 01/03/07 05:30 PM this one REALLY HURTS...!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I just got a terrible call...my amaising friend...the best drummer I ever knew...Norman Higgins, just died an hour ago. He had congestive heart falure and diabetes, but was still, after 50 years,the "first call" drummer in this part of the country.

I met Norman in 1960, when I was a sophemore in high school. We worked at a popular college club in the early 60's and on and off for the next 45 plus years.

I had just called him two days ago, telling him about the job I want to play with Dave Boyd next summer. As always, he was "in".

It was pretty rough for a black musician around here nearly 50 years ago, but we were like the two muskateers...we stuck together and worked together or we didn't work.

In spite of this, he never said an unkind word, except when he lost patience with a player who just wouldn't give his/her all.

He raised a family, and each of his kids excelled at whatever they attempted...music, racing...whatever. His father and brothers were all supurb musicians also; in particular, his younger brother Benny is "the bomb" on sax and flute.

His was a friendship and a lifetime of collaboration to be treasured. He made a difference to everyone he played with and for, and to everyone he ever met.

Life is so fragile. Let's all PLEASE appreciate each other.

Dave, you would have been crazy about this guy.

Russ

#80959 - 01/03/07 06:01 PM Re: this one REALLY HURTS...!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Sad news indeed, Russ. It's hard to lose a friend, especially when the friendship is of long duration. You feel as though a very special and irreplacable part of your own life has been taken away. However, remember that the highest tribute you can pay them is to remember them fondly. From your post, I'd say that that's the case here.

chas

#80960 - 01/03/07 09:15 PM Re: this one REALLY HURTS...!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My condolences Russ. Seems I'm outliving a lot of my friends also. Life is short indeed, so we must make the most of it.
DonM

#80961 - 01/03/07 11:18 PM Re: this one REALLY HURTS...!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
My sincere sympathies to you Russ and also to all the family and friends of Norman Higgins. It's always very sad when an old friend that we have spent so much good time playing music with passes away.

Do you have any recordings of you and Norman playing together that you can share with us?

#80962 - 01/04/07 04:54 AM Re: this one REALLY HURTS...!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Russ .... sorry for your loss ... with the passing of my mother in law in November, I became the oldest member of our 'immediate' family ... even at age 65 that's a scary thought ...
My prayers are with you and Norman's family ...
t.

#80963 - 01/04/07 08:34 AM Re: this one REALLY HURTS...!
captain Russ Offline

Nigel, sadly, Norman wasn't a "studio" guy. He recorded with the Jazz Arts Foundation, but I have used another drummer for session work for over 30 years on my industrial projects. Norman worked a 9 to 5 job at a printing company, and most of the film score sessions are in the daytime.

Thanks, everyone.

Russ

#80964 - 01/05/07 08:04 AM Re: this one REALLY HURTS...!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Russ, you have my condolences, sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. May he rest in peace.

#80965 - 01/05/07 10:24 PM Re: this one REALLY HURTS...!
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Sorry to hear of your friend's passing, Russ. I guess all my old band buddies are getting up there now, although they'll always be twenty-somethings in my mind. I know you'll cherish the memories and that's probably the best tribute you can pay.
Sincerely,
renig

#80966 - 01/09/07 10:13 AM Re: this one REALLY HURTS...!
captain Russ Offline

Norman's wake was last night...over 600 people showed up. The funeral is in about an hour.

At the wake, his brother Benny, one of the best sax players in the South, played one classical and one jazz piece, accompanied by a piano player. A local jazz duo played a prelude, and another brother, Johnathan played "Silent Drummer".

This is always a moving event. Johnathan is as good as Norman was. The piece starts off softly...almost inaudible. Mallets are used. The piece builds dramatically and then slowly fades away to silence, symbolizing the passing of the drummer. After the short service, various combinations of Norman's friends played impromptu tributes to a mainstay of the jazz community here.

Learned something about my long-time friend that I didn't know. He, Mike Allen (a powerhouse jazz keyboard player)and Duke Madison (fantastic sax man) would show up at a Ramada Inn I played for years. While I was doing my B-3 Rhodes solo set, they sat in the lobby. When I backed my partner, Preston Weber, on bass and guitar when he did his folk/country/sing-along, they sat directly in front of me calling out hokey tunes and saying "Give that bass player some"!...clapping, yelling, clogging and generally making good natured fun of me.

Last night, I found out that Norman, who always bragged of working with people like Ahmad Jamahl, Les McCain and Roland Kirk
ALSO WORKED QUITE A WHILE WITH CHARLIE DANIELS! There were photos of the two of them! Man, if I had known that when he was alive, I'd have given the kidding back-big-time.

Sadly, all three of my "hecklers" are now gone, but playing with them was as good as it gets.

I told Norman's family about your good wishes, and they were very thankful.

So am I.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 01-09-2007).]

#80967 - 01/09/07 11:53 AM Re: this one REALLY HURTS...!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
.... we're FAMILY, man ....

t.

#80968 - 01/09/07 08:23 PM Re: this one REALLY HURTS...!
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Keep him alive with your memories...

------------------
...shboom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online