SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#83130 - 10/09/06 05:53 AM Anyone play the cello?
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Hi,

I've been a keyboard/piano freak all my life. Although I've had a few years of lessons, I mostly play by ear and taught myself. I've always loved the cello and am considering buying one and taking a few lessons.

I don't know the first thing about them though, so dont' know what to look for, what brands are good, what size I should get, etc.

Just wondering if anyone on here plays one? Is it a tough instrument to learn?

#83131 - 10/09/06 08:59 AM Re: Anyone play the cello?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Carrie, don't play cello, but have a Kydd upright bass. It is made from a cello fretboard, mounted, basically to a board, with a piezo pick-up, so essentially, it's a cello tuned to the bass register. Use a bow on it all the time for jazz. Maby it's becauase I have been playing fretless and uprigfht for years, but the transition has been easy...and FUN!

Now that you've mentionede it, I'm going to buy a cello this week...it's sit with my accordion, mandolins, zitar, zythers,Ukes, dobro's, banjos etc. But, hey, I WANT IT!

thanks for the idea...

Russ

#83132 - 10/11/06 12:21 PM Re: Anyone play the cello?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands

Russ,
You need to be helped.
You are suffering a heavvy GAS...

mm..
By the way I will probably sell approx 20 guitars .. Shall I send you the list???

Fred

#83133 - 10/11/06 12:25 PM Re: Anyone play the cello?
freddynl Offline

Carrie

I would consider to discuss the brand with the teacher.
Maybe hire one first, to see if you manage to handle the bow.

Fred

#83134 - 10/11/06 12:54 PM Re: Anyone play the cello?

Hey, Fred...how are you? ALWAYS interested in what's out there. (cci01@alltel.net)

Russ

#83135 - 10/11/06 01:16 PM Re: Anyone play the cello?
freddynl Offline

Russ,
You have mail

Sorry for hi-jacking your topic Carrie

#83136 - 10/11/06 01:47 PM Re: Anyone play the cello?
freddynl Offline

Russ,
none of your mail adresses work.

Just send me a mail(to keep your mailadress private)

Fred

#83137 - 10/12/06 11:12 PM Re: Anyone play the cello?
Carrie-uk Offline

Thanks for your replies guys. Glad I could help Russ, although I must say I'm a bit jealous

I'm not sure which will come first - the cello or the teacher (chicken or the egg?)

I play the piano by ear so am wondering if I'd be able to pick up the cello the same way....maybe get the cello and a good beginner's book before splurging for weekly lessons. When the time comes, I'll have to find a good music shop that knows all about them I guess.

Thanks again

Carrie

#83138 - 10/13/06 03:19 AM Re: Anyone play the cello?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Carrie,
Good luck in this very ambitious endeavor!
All the string instruments are very difficult to master. You'll need an impeccable sense of pitch, since there are no fret markers for you to use, and the bowing technique could take years (literally) to achieve a sound that you're happy with.

The Suzuki viloin method teaches open string bowing for a FULL year before the students even start to finger notes on the fingerboard. It's a very exact science.

With THAT said ...... you will benefit from having the best possible instrument that you can afford. String instruments are 100% vibration, and if the wood has a lousy tone, nothing you learn can fix that.

Get a good one, if you can, and in case you want to sell it later, it'll be a more marketable instrument !

Then, there's the space issue .....
wait ......

"There's ALWAYS room for CELLO ! "

(hee hee - couldn't resist !)

#83139 - 10/16/06 12:49 AM Re: Anyone play the cello?
Carrie-uk Offline

Uncle Dave,

At first your post surprised and worried me, but the more I think about it, the more I love a challenge! I don't expect to become an expert cellist, or even a great one....but just want to give it a try because I love the sound of the instrument so much.

Unfortunately I don't have tons of money to blow on an instrument I may not even like playing! Perhaps I should find somewhere to rent one first, and take a few lessons before forking out lots of dough.

Wait a minute....that sounds FAR too sensible

Carrie

#83140 - 10/16/06 06:23 AM Re: Anyone play the cello?

Carrie...found an Englehart at a local shop...a little better than student line. Bought for $350.00. Has some wear, but it's OK. My expectations af far less ambitious. I'll just add it to my collection and fool around with it occasionally. After nearly 50 years of playing upright, my hands are in such bad shape that gigging with bass of any kind is impossible. I always loved upright and playing with a bow. The bow I got for my KIDD is a good one...cost more than the cello. Make sure you get a good bow and some expert advice on that. Playing an inexpensive instrument and bow is kind of like learning to drive with an old junker car. Around here, you can rent a student line instrument for $17.50 per month. That's a good way to start. I'd look at a local university for an advanced student who would like to earn extra money giving beginner lessons.

good luck!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 10-16-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online