Quote: I'm sorry if I've offended anyone

No offense taken my friend.

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 12-06-2005).]

#84538 - 12/12/05 06:23 PM Re: Working for the City/County
cajun100 Offline

Loc: Mill Valley, CA USA
The two major benefits of working for a public agency (at least in the USA) are:
(1) stability and job protection for the employee, and -- VERY important as one ages --
(2) benefits including retirement pension rights.
In most agencies it is very difficult for one to be "fired" summarily as happens daily in private firms. Even employees accused of malfeasance have appeal rights. Public employee unions are very powerful on the die of employees.
Benefits have long been comparable or better than in private work, and arae looking far better as erosion of benefits continues generally.
If you want a decent pension public agencies are the last refuge for most people. Private firms are getting rid of pension obligations as fast as they can (public agency pensions are better than decent! How about 60-70% of your final salary upon completion of only 20 years service! And inflation protection!).
I worked hard for 40 years mainly in private firms. Made more money for some years than I would have in government. However at age 59 I lost FIFTEEN YEARS work and pension credit after a "merger". Now at 67, my retirement benefits including Social Security total $36,000 a year -- less than the average 50-year old retiring fireman or policement gets in my vicinity. I feel like a chump. And I am far from alone.

Unless you are burning with ambition or have very marketable skills in very high demand in the private sector -- public employment can look very attractive. Find an agency that has a good financial underpinning -- airports, port authorities, larger cities (not all) and some educational institutions are all good choices.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online