SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#84771 - 09/06/06 05:18 PM Re: How I spent my summer vacation
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Dave, I look forward to your evaluation.
I've re-mixed both songs that Tiffany did.

demo4 is "Winner takes it All" from ABBA
demo5 is "Angel" from Sarah Mcglauglin.
http://members.shaw.ca/shboom/demo4.mp3
http://members.shaw.ca/shboom/demo5.mp3

.....enjoy...

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 09-06-2006).]

#84772 - 09/06/06 11:05 PM Re: How I spent my summer vacation
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
What a beuutifully produced voice.

Cousin Ken

#84773 - 09/07/06 03:57 AM Re: How I spent my summer vacation
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hey "boomer" !

Wow ! Beautiful!
I love that song, so I'm biased, but you both did a great job!

"Teeeny" tiny comment. Was there a chorus on the piano, or just bathed in effects and layers? Sara's piano sound is usually more dry and I think it stands out a bit more. That's the only thing I'd like to hear in your version.

I LIKE the way it is, but I think the piano could use a little less effects. That's a small point, and very personal ......... Overall - it's a very impressive recording. You can be very proud of it just the way it is !

#84774 - 09/07/06 06:42 AM Re: How I spent my summer vacation
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Leon, I liked the tune and the quality of recording, but what I REALLY like is how honest you are in your description of what is possible in the recording studio...what you can and can't do, depending on the level of musicianship, talent, etc. of the client.

That level of honesty is rare these days, especially in the recording business. The "vacation" photo is GREAT here, and I like the interjection of some humor on your website.

Way to go, on several levels.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 09-07-2006).]

#84775 - 09/07/06 01:22 PM Re: How I spent my summer vacation
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Dave, with your background & expertise, your comments/critiques are well appreciated and invaluable in my endeavours to attain a level of proficiency with the D3200 that I'm wanting to reach.

No, I don't think I had any chorus on the piano, but again, I'm still getting my head around the parameter editting aspects of the effects racks built into this unit.

I plan to take all the advice received here and channel that into perfecting future mastering projects.

Ken...thanx for your kind words. I had a lot to work with in Tiff's great voice as a start, so I'm really pleased that I was able to do her justice, I'll be sure to pass your praise along to her, 'cos she in fact deserves most if not all of the credit.

Russ.....If you know anything about me at all...then you know I tell it like it is.

It's funny you should mention the interjection of humour (referring to the synopsis, I assume).
It's amazing what some individuals expect. Unfortunately, many of them have been told (usually by friends & family) that they've got a great voice, much like some of the individuals on the first rounds of American Idol. You do what you can, but sometimes a little cold honesty is what's required.

Thank you all for your support and advice, and I will continue on, trying to put together the best music I can.

I'm really lovin' the versatility of the D3200. Just a word of warning to anyone considering this unit. I've said it before, and I'll say it again..."Session Drums is not a drum machine", my advice, for what it's worth, is to use it as a metronome, a guide, if you will, but it will never take the place of a really good dedicated drum machine or live drummer.

See ya in the funny papers...

------------------
...shboom

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online