SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#84872 - 09/23/05 05:35 AM Re: A bit disappointed...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I am a web designer and I also do graphic art. I can tell you that it takes months to develop a great multi-function website with photo's, sound, guestbooks, etc.

I wouldn't be too hard on Phil, he is young, inexperienced and is trying really hard to develop his skills. Look at it as an opportunity to help mentor a young person.

However, as a business owner, I feel your pain. Remember you ALWAYS get what you pay for. My web sites START at $500.00 and can go sky high!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#84873 - 09/23/05 06:50 AM Re: A bit disappointed...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Kbrkr, you're right...you get what you pay for. This was simply a chance for this young
man to learn. I paid him $100.00 more than his asking price. There was no sound...no guestbook. He got a thumbnail of the pages, illustrations on disk and content via email. It was one of the easiest sites to create I have ever organized, due to the intent, which was to create a learnng experience. I was prepared to get a marginal; even unusable product. I'm not at all upset because he couldn't do the work...I'm upset about how he handled things when he learned there was a problem, which was to do nothing.

We hve two web designers on staff, and create interactive sites for clients used to track the process of orders, order entry, shipping dates, sales commissions, etc.If my object was only to get an appropriate website, I would have simply given the job to one of our people and it would have cost me nothing, since they are on salary.

Had I gotten anything like an acceptable product, I would have developed him as a part-timer to maintain static sites, at compensation of $50.00 an hour.

I was simply trying to give someone an opportunity...

Russ

#84874 - 09/29/05 11:37 AM Re: A bit disappointed...

It's been over a week....no word from Phil...that's what I expected.

How sad...

russ

#84875 - 09/29/05 02:49 PM Re: A bit disappointed...
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
It's been over a week....no word from Phil...that's what I expected.

How sad...

russ

Hey Russ...maybe it's time that the young man was taught the meaning of "responsabilty" .....it might just take someone else pulling his coat tail to wake him up....I would be more than happy to follow it up for you by sending an e-mail of my own, however, I certainly don't want to meddle into something that isn't directly
any of my business....we are all together as family here and have to look after each other when possible.....
Tony Rome

#84876 - 09/29/05 06:33 PM Re: A bit disappointed...
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Phil also didn't react to the other thread he started in this forum. I hope that he's not ill at the time!!!

#84877 - 09/30/05 06:52 AM Re: A bit disappointed...

Thanks, Tony, but the "damage is done". If he were to deliver a usable site today, it would be 6 months after he got content and 5 months after promised.

I also know that he didn't deliver as promised to other members. I don't expect to get my input back, either.

I don't regret giving him a chance. I mainly want to warn members to be careful and let Phil know that this is not acceptable behavior. If he were older and working, this performance would get him fired, and If he failed to deliver under contract he probably would be sued.

It's a disappointment, but now I know about him. I hope he spent my $300.00 wisely, cause he "ain't gonna get any more". The sad thing is, he could have made enough to finance college if he had just done what he promised.

With the help of the "zone" I think I've got my point across. I'm sure he's seen all this, and I hope he's embarassed.

Best regards to all...

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 09-30-2005).]

#84878 - 09/30/05 09:54 AM Re: A bit disappointed...
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
And so it ended fateful...
I wish you a more lucky choice for your next deal, Capt. Russ! Sorry to hear about this finish. May the next webdesigner be a more authentic one!!!
Best regards, Danny

#84879 - 09/30/05 11:41 AM Re: A bit disappointed...

Actually, Danny, we have two full-time web designers on staff, so, since they are on salary, I could have created this site at no out-of-pocket. Airstream Audio is a mobile DJ/sound set-up, which is contained in a 22' 1956 Airstream trailor. We use it mainly for car shows and for large outside events. Since the car shows are "captive customers"
I wasn't going to create a site at all..it's booked through fall, 2006. I was simply trying to create a job for someone who I thought was an ambitious and honorable kid. I was wrong, but he is the big loser, not me. It was worth $300.00 to see what Phil was worth, which "ain't much".

Currently, I'm giving a young graphic arts major a chance to work on several logos. If it works out, she'll get more work while in college, with the possibility of a full-time job with us when she graduates. I never get "newcomers" to do work on spec. We always pay a fair rate, even if the work is not usable. I like to give young people in the business a chance to work on a "brag piece", since jobs are hard to get without a track record.

Thanks very much for your concern...all the best to our "overseas" friend!

Russ

#84880 - 10/03/05 06:20 AM Re: A bit disappointed...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff:
Phil also didn't react to the other thread he started in this forum. I hope that he's not ill at the time!!!

He is evidently alive and well, because he posted yesterday on the Buy/Sell page.

#84881 - 10/03/05 03:27 PM Re: A bit disappointed...

He's around, alright...just "in hiding"!

Russ

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online