Breakybird, if the board works for you than that's great. We each have our own thoughts on this subject. It's just that for me personally I need a board that feels more solid under my fingers. I use the pitchbend and modulation extensively. I always feel like the Yamaha wheels are going to break under my fingers, and due to the level of construction the wheels actually prevent one from doing some things.

Here's an example. If you've got good control on your wheel and how to use it you can pull off way more convincing vibrato using your pitchbend wheel as opposed to the modulation wheel. There's a trick you do with your thumb on the pitchbend that gives you more control and a more natural vibrato effect. The return spring in the PSR's limit this use of that affect once the wheel is pressed up or down. (hope that made sense).

When it comes to sounds and features, man Yamaha really takes the cake in so many areas there. I love their sweet, cool, and live voices, their EP's make your mouth water, their orchestral instruments are beautiful, and their styles are strong, yet simple enough to not overpower the player. It's just that I feel their build quality needs work. Sure you could use a midi controller for better wheels and key action, but if you pay $1,500 (I know some pay less but many I'm sure pay the catalog price) for a keyboard then that board should already have good quality keys and solid construction. I know the 3000 and Fantom Xa are like apples and oranges, but they both share the same critique on overall build quality.

My studio is going to consist of one professional arranger, and one good qualty synth. There's one arranger (actually 2) that Yamaha produced in the past that had nice keys, and good wheels. The PSR-9000, and 9000 Pro were decent. Actually the 9000 Pro shares the same basic body structure as the Yamaha EX-5. The 9000 Pro had the same synth action keybed, and the same wheels. If I do consider a more recent Yamaha for my layout it will most likely be a used Tyros. That's still up in the air though. If the PSR-3000 had better keys, and improved wheels I'd buy that model.

To be honest I really wish there was a module form of the PSR-3000. Something set up like the Ketron X-4. To me that would be awsome. You'd have all the incredible features of the PSR-3000, but minus the keys and wheels. This way you could save space and use something like a pro synth to control it. Is there really no market for something like that???? I know it has been asked of Yamaha many times, but they say no.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-16-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.