Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:

Anyway, my friend... if she has any downfall, it's going flat on notes. Sometimes when she does a song well, it is outstanding. But often, she goes flat.

SemiLiveMusic,

The fact that 'sometimes' she sings a song well (and in tune) gives me the impression that her problem is mostly due her lack of the knowledge of vocal 'support' and vocal production techique. I think the right vocal coach can teach her the basic mechnanics of singing: diaphramic breathing & support, breath control, and vocal placement, of which applies to no matter what type of music one sings (from opera to jazz, to hiphop). I feel the important thing to look for in a vocal coach (especially pop style music) is someone who can help her to bring out her own unique sounding voice, and not turn her into a generic sounding perfect pitch singer (boring). I suggest checking out the good vocalists performing in your area and find out who they use when they have vocal problems (and we all do). Another suggestion is to checkout the local colleges in your area and have her enroll in a voice class, and better yet, something I recommend to ALL aspiring singers & musicians out there, enroll in an 'ear training' class. The ability to recognize & sing all intervals (both ascending & descending) as well as the chords (in all inversions) can do wonders in improving ones ear & musicianship. I have observed first hand many a music student who couldn't sing in tune before, eventually become terrific singers as a result of ear training.

The great thing is that there are some terrific computer programs which include ear training tutorials. I like to use these myself to brush up on my interval recognition.

Here are a few 'ear training' programs to checkout:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Software/Windows/ear_training.html

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:

ALSO... sometimes she can NOT start on the right key. I will know the key of the song. I'll start in "G" or whatever and she'll be nowhere near "G."

Whenever I accompany a singer (on the piano) especially begining singers or ones I've not worked with before, I always remember to play a strong intro with a I-VI-II-V7-I or IV-V7-I turnaround, with the dominant V7 chord leading into I (the first chord of the song). The strong V7-I chrod progression greatly assists the singer into getting into the proper key and hitting the right beginning note.

I can't say whether vocal training will actually help 'her' or not, but being a voice teacher myself, I have seen great improvement, especially if her problem has more to do with vocal technique then a tin ear. The fact that you say she's able to sing on key in some instances makes me believe their may be hope (as a singer) for her. Good luck.

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com