Even the Motif Es, which is a Yamaha workstation, doesn't do a particularly good job of midifile playback vs the PA80 or anything else I've had in the past. I have Hypercanvas but I'm not all that impressed wityh it. Right now I think my slightly modified SGM180 soundfont chained with mild reverb and chorus effects probably outperforms everything else I have, but the plugsound GM module I've used is even better.

The obvious problem with the Plugsound is that it fails to recognize GM patch and bank changes, and they tell you that it's designed that way. Too bad. Can't wait to see what the new Native Instrument GM module with 2 gb of sounds will be like. It supposedly will recognize patch changes. A few of the guys with the souped up laptops might even become converts then... LOL
But... if it doesn't blow me away, I think the next step will be for me to combine sounds from all the samples and modules I have and make a super soundfont. This will take some time to be sure, but having the SGM180 available to me and being able to pick it apart has hopefully taught me a little about making a good quality soundfont.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 11-01-2005).]