Donny, there are a LOT of pianists that would LOVE to be able to play with a technique they have worked on for their entire life on an arranger... But I for one feel VERY cramped trying to be pianistic on a 61.

76 is probably the only compromise that gives you this range, while still staying plastic (for non-piano sounds), but for the true pianist, it is still not enough. As the piano sounds in arrangers get better and better, to the point of being competitive with any other WS out there, it is frustrating to have the SOUND, but not the keyboard range to use it.

You all have to remember, an OMB with multiple gigs a day is not the sole purpose of an arranger. It is as flexible as a WS, capable of being used in almost ANY musical situation, at least sound-wise, so crippling its' form factor to the point where OMB technique is the ONLY good use for it is short-sighted. Fortunately, Yamaha are the ONLY manufacturer with this myopic point of view.

I believe that Yamaha are trying to leverage their FAR less popular, and FAR more expensive CVP-like arranger/piano hybrids by NOT making a 76 or 88 Tyros or PSR line. Given their market dominance in 61 arrangers, but lackluster sales of the CVP's (or whatever the acronym du jour is), I don't think this is working out too well as a business plan. The fact that they make ANY arranger keyboard with an 88 or 76 acknowledges that there IS a market for the pianist/arranger player, but they simply think this market can afford the overpriced (and arranger crippled) products they make at the moment. Facts do not bear this out...

In the meantime, all their competition acknowledges that a small, but significant minority of arranger players want a REAL arranger, with more keys. And 76 is the best compromise between weight and key-feel to be able to use as MORE than just a 'piano with an arranger section' and also more than a OMB keyboard you CAN'T play piano on....

OF COURSE, the majority want the 61 (cheap, light, and they probably are not pianists in the first place), but Korg, Ketron, Roland, MS, just about everybody OTHER than Yamaha seem somehow to be able to make a profit (you don't think for one minute that they LOSE money on these, do you? ) from a 76.

I just think Yamaha are clinging desperately to the hope that a pianist who wants a 76 or 88 arranger is going to buy one of the CVPs, rather than take a look at a REAL arranger with a 76, which they don't make.

Or you could simply say that, despite dominating in the 61 arranger market, somehow Yamaha doubt they could do the same in the 76 market....

Not a lot of corporate 'cojones' in that decision, IMO.