Originally Posted By tony mads usa
... I would have said "no, as I said it follows my voice as I am singing, there is nothing pre-recorded!"

OK - go get a cup of coffee, I'm feeling wordy. (you have been warned)

I gave up long ago trying to "educate" my audiences. Things that used to make me CRINGE, no longer make me blink. Age? Wisdom? Naw ... $$$$$$$$$$$
I played my first paying job almost 50 years ago. It was a house party for a college graduation. We had 2 guitars and bass ... no drummer. I was the only singer, and I sang through the guitar amp's second channel. (Hi Tech) We were in eighth grade, and only knew 7 songs, but each one was a popular hit of the day. (I think we played each song 3 times that day) A little nervous, but extremely confident in how I wanted to interpret the material we played. It lit the spark that grew into the fire that fuels my passion today.

As years went by, my skills increased, and my confidence, along with it. I was "the entertainer," and when I was on stage, I resented any distractions. I insisted that TVs be turned off, and lighting directed on the stage. If the crowd got too loud while I was "in my moment" I would let them know that "others were trying to enjoy the music, so please try to keep it down." I wanted to be "in control" of the room's pulse. That was my job. You could get away with that attitude in the 70s and 80s, but things were changing, and changing fast.

Today, there are about a dozen or more TVs in most rooms I play.
Most patrons are using their own screens, and sharing pictures, taking selfies, etc. ALL night long.
People often sing along louder than my acoustic volume, while very near me. It’s distractng.
My point?
I constantly remind myself that I am in the SERVICE business. I am there to entertain, and enhance their dining or dancing experience.
I'm not a head liner. It's not Carnegie Hall, and no one pays a ticket price to see one of my shows. I am bundled into the menu prices, and like an entree,
I'm just a part of the whole package. All the elements of the evening need to come together, and compliment each other ... a musical, culinary, social stew, if you will.
When I loosen the reigns, and let the crowd point me in the direction to go ... I MAKE MORE MONEY. When I make more money, I AM HAPPY.

Now, don't take this the wrong way - I'm NOT in it for the money. I'm really not, but in deciding to make my passion my career, I always make sure that the business end makes it all worth while. I still have children, and grand children to spoil, bills to pay, and gear to buy, like the rest of you all. (or "y'all" for Don Mason) smile
The music is fun. I LOVE the music, but the rest of the process is absolutely daunting. This business is harsh. It's cold, and fickle, and will NEVER love you back.
You may hone your craft to excellent levels of proficiency, but until you learn to balance the ego with the humility, the product will not sell.

I'm going to repeat that part: THE PRODUCT WILL NOT SELL.

As musicians, we are selling a product ... ourselves. We have to sell, and RE-sell it each night, if we want to stay employed. If only the music is important, and the crowd comes in second to your ego, then play jazz. (sorry Russ, but you KNOW it's true ... on some level) smile

As a teacher, I learned that until I taught the students that I cared about them, I couldn't teach them anything else. People need reinforcement. We love recognition. When you play a patron's favorite song as they enter a room, they will show their appreciation with repeat business, smiles , hugs and MONEY. (yup - I said it)
I am blessed to have found venues that respond to my treatment of this business with long term contracts, and many, many happy evenings with patrons that have become friends. Working a room multiple nights a week is challenging. You need to stay fresh, and always be observant of the crowd. They will tell you what they like with their body language, and their tips. I have always enjoyed setting up house ... getting to know the regulars, becoming a part of their lives ... helping them wash away the dust of everyday life with songs, and stories each night. It's not for everyone. Many of my colleagues hate playing the same place more then one night in a row. They rely on a "routine" or set list that would simply, not work on a daily basis. Nothing is worse than having the staff think: (geeze, Moondance - must be only 9 o'clock!) Well, maybe SOME things are worse.

If the crowd want to sing the EAGLES chant every night (cuz we DO, ‘round here!), then that’s what I’ll do.
If a server needs to interrupt a song to bring a birthday cake to a patron, then I STOP THE SONG, and going in the festivity.
If the bartenders are doing their thing to please the crowd, and they request a song to dance to …. I do that song.
If a patron approaches my keyboard while I'm singing, and starts talking to me on their way in/out - I’ll vamp until they’ve had a chance to say their piece, and drop their thank$ in my jar. Them I resume the song.

It’s not rocket science. It’s crowd control, and yes - it’s still my responsibility to manage the pulse of the room. I love my job, and hope to continue to do this for a long time, but sharing the “control” with the patrons can be a good thing …….. as long as YOU hold the master switch. Step back, and listen to their requests, both verbal, and physical - they will tell you just what they want, and when you give it to them - THEY WILL LOVE YOU FOR IT, and they will pay for it. That’s the business part of the music business, as I see it.

Thanks for listening …. I need a second cup of coffee. This’ one’s COLD!
smile