Update:

After several failed attempts at reinstalling Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite, even after following Zone Alarms so called complete removal steps, of which kept crashing my PC and causing me to have to perform a system restore to get my PC to boot properly again. After this experience, I've completely had it Zone Alarm (like I did with Norton previously) now.

I've gone ahead and taken the recommendations of others here and installed the FREE editions of: AVG AntiVirus , LavaSoft Adaware, and Spy Bot Search & Destroy, and enabled the Windows XP's built-in Firewall. Man, I already see a huge increase in my PC speed performance after having just switched from Norton/Zone Alarm to the above programs. Assuming I've still got more than adequate virus/spyware protection I'm glad I made this move, and have saved quite a bit of $$$ to boot, as the cost of those supposed pro version security suites are quite sustantial. It seems what you pay for in the pro versions of the same programs are feature enhancements, not the actual security level protection itself.

I also, thanks to MacAllcock's referal, plan to install the FREE version of Comodo firewall as well, as it looks to be more robust than the Windows built in firewall, and has garnered a lot of great website/mag reviews too. Is anyone here using/or used Comodo Firewall? Feedback? I also remember reading somewhere that the built in Windows firewall must be disabled when a 3rd party firewall software is utilized. Is this correct?

Thanks again to all that responded. Your continued feedback and recommendations remain very helpful.

Scott