SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#116388 - 07/16/07 03:04 PM New arranger advice?
viocaia Offline

Loc: Romania/Norway
Hey!I'm ready to give up my Ketron SD1 EXP, I'm looking for someting with more modern sounds...but light and easy to transport.Of course an arranger..I need styles cause I'm playing a lot "live".Any advices..I've been away from news about in the last 2 years, since I have Ketron.No doubt is a really good keyboard but I feel like a change.
Thanks,
Vio www.viocaia.tk

[This message has been edited by viocaia (edited 07-16-2007).]

#116389 - 07/16/07 05:10 PM Re: New arranger advice?
Dnj Offline

Keep your SD1 & "convert" some New styles form other KB's to Ketron format!

BTW I enjoyed your website & Videos

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-16-2007).]

#116390 - 07/16/07 07:20 PM Re: New arranger advice?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you need 'modern' sounds, does that mean you are playing 'modern' music?

If so, you might take a look at the Korg's (the new PA800 looks like quite a deal,sampler, guitar mode, etc.), or if you are REALLY modern, perhaps either a MotifXS or Korg M3 if you are doing dance and techno type styles.

Otherwise, the only advice is get to a dealer, and try out all the new stuff. The new Yamaha S900 looks promising, especially at the price, the E60 is a very affordable 76 note lightweight (relatively!), the G70 is a monster live rig...

Lots of choices, but you need to be quite a bit more specific to get a recommendation that will really suit you...

#116391 - 07/16/07 11:46 PM Re: New arranger advice?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Don’t forget also that Ketron will be releasing the Audya later this year /early next year, and this looks like it could be something really special.
TIP, if you are used to using 76 notes (As the SD1 has) then do not pick a 61 note board, as you will regret it.
Other options are the Lionstracs Mediastation, (Providing you don’t mind doing a lot of work to set it up to your requirements) and the Wersi Ikarus. (This gives you a lot of the flexibility of the Mediastaion, but can be operated as easy as any arranger OOTB)
Please be aware that the last 2 are expensive in the short term, but cheap in the long term, as you do not need to change them again, but just update the software (And occasionally internal hardware) to give you a brand new instrument. (Software is considerably cheaper then swapping boards)
Finally don’t forget the Bohm Silverbird which is very comprehensive, and also hardware updatable.
As has been suggested don’t forget to try some converted styles first, as the SD1 is a mighty powerful board.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#116392 - 07/17/07 02:26 PM Re: New arranger advice?
viocaia Offline

Thanks everybody!
I'm not playing to much tehno or dance music , but I need synths for the things I'm doing for "young talents" in my home town, between gigs.I miss all the pads and synth from my ex-Roland VA76.I 'm really thinking about a arranger module and a light keyboard, I'm flying a lot and I'm tyred of paying extra luggage.But I'm checking everything you said Abacus.
Thanks DNJ for visiting my page...aand for feedback,helps...
Also Diki, I was thinking about G70, I'm really use with Roland since 92 I had only Roland synths and arrangers, but G70 is way to Big...I dont undesrtand why they make this keybs so damn BIG!Have you ever open one guys...a lot of empty space..for good money of course!!!
Thanks again!
Vio

#116393 - 07/17/07 05:01 PM Re: New arranger advice?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi vio,
the module version of the sd5 is released soon, why not use that and add, either a controller keyboard, or a dedicated piano keyboard, example the new casio series are pretty good, as i the kurzweil pc2x (it has 76 graded hammer action too? and under 20 kgs)....good thing about the sd5 module is you already know the op system....same as the sd with a few more "bells and whistles"
cheers
dennis

#116394 - 07/17/07 05:49 PM Re: New arranger advice?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Honestly, the G70 isn't MUCH bigger than the G1000, or the VA76, for that matter. It's less than an inch or so longer, and only two or three deeper. It fits in the same flight case I used on the G1000 (it was a bit oversized to accommodate a K2500 depth-wise, and the G1000 wide).

Pretty much most 76-ers are about as big, except the Ketrons, which put the wheels above the keyboard (not a place I like them)... And you open up just about any 76-er or 88-er, and you'll find gobs of spare room. Remember, they still only have the electronics of a 61 inside. Only the keyboard makes the case larger, and the need for physical space for all the extra controls, ESPECIALLY compared to the few on the VA-76!

#116395 - 07/22/07 12:31 PM Re: New arranger advice?
viocaia Offline

Hey !
What do you think about Roland E60...
I use to have Roland VA76.Hows the sound compare with VA..
Thanks

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online