SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#129889 - 07/07/07 08:09 AM Is it just me?
zuki Offline

I'm a softy for sure, but some of my repeat jobs now where I'm getting to know people seems to get to me emotionally when I perform. I get choked up pretty easily

Does anyone else feel the same?

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

#129890 - 07/07/07 08:31 AM Re: Is it just me?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Last time I got choked up on a job was at a funeral for a sax player friend. (Not really a job--I did it for his widow.) Funerals, however, tend not to be repeat jobs. So I haven't gotten choked up lately.

Zuki...what kind of jobs are these that make you so emotional?
Eddie

#129891 - 07/07/07 08:32 AM Re: Is it just me?
Dnj Offline

Emotion is what performing music is all about.........Only three songs make me really tingle inside emotionally when I perform them "MAMMA", "DADDY's Little Girl", "God Bless The USA".....Zuki, your making people feel happy that's what you should be thinking of as a professional musician....enjoy the ride.

------------------

Donny

Choose a job you Love, and you will Never have to Work a day in your life!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-07-2007).]

#129892 - 07/07/07 08:36 AM Re: Is it just me?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I got easily choked up singing a few years ago before my heart attack. Since then I've been on a mild dose of Lexapro and I don't have those episodes any more. Not that your choking up is in any way related, but looking back I guess I was a little depressed at that time.

#129893 - 07/07/07 08:55 AM Re: Is it just me?
zuki Offline

We all wear our feelings differently. I tend to wear mine on my sleeve a bit more than most

It's not that it happens all the time, just a few momemts in time....

I am simply BLESSED - thus the reason for becoming emotional.

A lot too is the rememberance of my Dad, as he played all the songs I am now playing and it brings back great memories.

I love 'touching' the audience and it brings joy to me in an indescribable way.

These folks wait almost a month in some cases for quality music (and maybe longer depending on who's performed in the past )
and it amazing how much they enjoy the hour we have together.

It's inspiring and pushes me to keep working on material, because I see the results ahead of time. Nothing in life compares.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

#129894 - 07/07/07 09:12 AM Re: Is it just me?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You are not alone, Zuki...I get choked up many times whilst playing...two songs really do it to me...Wind Beneath My Wings, and, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#129895 - 07/07/07 09:48 AM Re: Is it just me?
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
I think all good musicians use all their emotions when performing, including joy, humor, love, remorse, etc. If you allow yourself to show your vulnerabilities, to be human and honest in your emotions you get my full respect, as a musician and as a human being.
Jim

#129896 - 07/08/07 07:27 AM Re: Is it just me?
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
I think choking up on certain songs comes as a result of something in that song that touches you on a personal level from your own life experiences. For example, I met my wife on a Sunday over 40 years ago and, to this day, if I sing Nat King Cole's "That Sunday, That Summer", that does it for me. In fact I can't get through the song.

My dad and one of his sisters were professional opera singers and there are many arias that will have the same effect on me whenever I hear them.

These are the true beauties of music. It touches inner parts of the soul that so often are taken for granted or that we are perhaps even unaware of, yet the music will get straight to core.

We are blessed.

#129897 - 07/08/07 04:52 PM Re: Is it just me?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by renig:

These are the true beauties of music. It touches inner parts of the soul that so often are taken for granted or that we are perhaps even unaware of, yet the music will get straight to core.

We are blessed.

So true, Renig.

A good book can do the same as well.

Taike

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online