SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#134442 - 12/08/05 12:51 PM I have a far greater admiration for one man bands than regular bands
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
It takes extra talent to play the keyboard and sing on your own. The singer is more expressive because the music comes from him and not others. Way to go all u one man bands. I saw barry manillow playing the piano and singing on oprah just now and it made me start this topic

#134443 - 12/08/05 01:34 PM Re: I have a far greater admiration for one man bands than regular bands
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I think this could create a bit of dialogue, especially if there are members of bands reading this forum....
I spent many years with a band, and have been a OMB for quite a few as well ...
I would say that each needs a certain talent. To get several members of a band to perform as a solid, cohesive unit, and NOT sound like a group of people just playing together, takes a lot of work ... While it may be true that some band members could 'cover up' for another lesser player/singer, that doesn't usually last for long, nor does it bring much success...
Obviously, a OMB has only his/her own talent and kb to use, and as a 'single' performer, you are certainly 'out there' and any mistake is your own ... but you also don't have to be concerned with what some others might be playing or singing at the same time, either...
I LOVE the flexibility of performing as a OMB, but certainly miss the support and comaraderie of the fellows I used to play with ... (and if any night I'm feeling grumpy or not up to par, I have no one else to get me out of my funk !!! ...)
t.

#134444 - 12/08/05 01:48 PM Re: I have a far greater admiration for one man bands than regular bands
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
For one that does both,may I say I totally agree.
Bernie

#134445 - 12/08/05 02:08 PM Re: I have a far greater admiration for one man bands than regular bands
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Tony, I think that your post says it all and puts things into the proper perpective..
it really is great when you can stand front and center stage and turn and smile and feel the comaraderie of the group that is backing you and the great sensation when everything gels into place and the audiance starts applauding and cheering everybody on.
Man then you know it's "SHOW BIZ"....thanks
TR

#134446 - 12/08/05 02:52 PM Re: I have a far greater admiration for one man bands than regular bands
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I think we're talking about different approaches to performance, and what one prefers to do is an individual choice.

Anyone who thinks that it is always harder to do the one man band thing should look at the pure love and complex interplay of groups like Fourplay, or the interaction between Bella Fleck and Victor Wooten. Improvising taking ques from musicians of equal ability and stature is awsome and takes talent, concentration, chops and years of experience. The non-spoken communication
and creativity involved is magic!

Of course, we're approaching the whole "entertainer vs. musician" subject.

In a perfect world, I'd always play in a group and do mostly instrumentals. In the real world, over 1/2 my work is as a OMB.

I continue to have a "love/hate" relationship with arrangers. But what's more important is do what you choose to do and be the best you can be at it. Always keep listening and learning, and you'll achieve success however you define it and however you choose to do it.

Let's all keep on "pickin' and grinnin'!

Russ

#134447 - 12/08/05 02:55 PM Re: I have a far greater admiration for one man bands than regular bands
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
I think this could create a bit of dialogue, especially if there are members of bands reading this forum....
I spent many years with a band, and have been a OMB for quite a few as well ...
I would say that each needs a certain talent. To get several members of a band to perform as a solid, cohesive unit, and NOT sound like a group of people just playing together, takes a lot of work ... While it may be true that some band members could 'cover up' for another lesser player/singer, that doesn't usually last for long, nor does it bring much success...
Obviously, a OMB has only his/her own talent and kb to use, and as a 'single' performer, you are certainly 'out there' and any mistake is your own ... but you also don't have to be concerned with what some others might be playing or singing at the same time, either...
I LOVE the flexibility of performing as a OMB, but certainly miss the support and comaraderie of the fellows I used to play with ... (and if any night I'm feeling grumpy or not up to par, I have no one else to get me out of my funk !!! ...)
t.

Truer words were never spoken, Tony. Much as I enjoy playing and singing with my board, it's no substitute for the camaraderie and chemistry of the real thing.

#134448 - 12/08/05 03:21 PM Re: I have a far greater admiration for one man bands than regular bands
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
OMB is EASIER for me. I don't have to teach everybody the songs. I know everybody will show up on time, will take breaks when I do, won't get drunk, etc.
Still, I must agree that it's sometimes more fun to work with a band.
DonM

#134449 - 12/08/05 03:28 PM Re: I have a far greater admiration for one man bands than regular bands
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I must have played with a dozen bands in New Orleans probably more than that. The longest any group stayed together was on a 6 night a week gig in Morgan City La. It lasted from September to the first week of January.

Too many musicians with too many problems for the long haul. OMB is a lot less stressful if you have a backup system.

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 12-08-2005).]

#134450 - 12/08/05 04:03 PM Re: I have a far greater admiration for one man bands than regular bands
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
Bands work if they stick together through thick and thin. To the ears of the general public the one man band is the underdog ?

#134451 - 12/08/05 06:34 PM Re: I have a far greater admiration for one man bands than regular bands
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Yeah, maybe I've been spoiled. We had the same trio together for 14 years, and I'd been in various bands with the other two for many years before that. Great days!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online