SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#137471 - 09/30/02 10:36 AM Worth Upgrading from Sonar XL 1.31 to 2.0?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I realize this is an arranger specific forum, but I know that a number of arranger players here (including myself) also utilize Cakewalk 'Sonar' sequencing software for recording & editing (post production) their arranger keyboard and vocal performances.

I currently own Sonar XL (version 1.31) and primarily use it to record my Yamaha PSR2000 keyboard performances (midi tracks) with vocals (digital audio tracks). What are the benefits of upgrading to 'Sonar 2.0' ($79) or 'Sonar 2.0 XL' ($169). Anyone here upgraded from Sonar 1.31 to 2.0? Does the 'XL version' have any useful features worth paying the extra money? Recommendations & advice appreciated. Thanks. - Scott

#137472 - 09/30/02 11:03 AM Re: Worth Upgrading from Sonar XL 1.31 to 2.0?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I went straight to Sonar 2.0 myself and never used the earlier versions so I don't know much about the differences. But I do know that some DirectX plug-ins won't work with Sonar versions prior to 2.0. I am currently using the Antares Pitch-Correction and the BBS Maximizer plug-ins, which work nicely. Sonar 2.0 reportedly has better Rewire implementation for Reason users like myself. Also the new Yamaha OPT panels only work with Sonar 2.0. I'm sure there's more differences between the versions, but overall Sonar seems to be the one audio/midi program that is really worth the effort to own and use so I would do the upgrade. I purposely did not go with the XL version because I have Sound Forge, which has great mastering features that appear better than what the XL version of Sonar offers.

#137473 - 09/30/02 11:15 AM Re: Worth Upgrading from Sonar XL 1.31 to 2.0?
Dnj Offline

pro do you have an email?

#137474 - 09/30/02 12:20 PM Re: Worth Upgrading from Sonar XL 1.31 to 2.0?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
So far I did not upgrade yet as I don't use much plug ins. (mostly hardware these days)
I use 1.x Sonar XL as well and only some minor problems really.
Not worth the usd 169,-- .
I guess I wait till another new version comes out.
(I usually wait one version.. )
(went from cake 8.x to sonarxl.)

#137475 - 09/30/02 02:39 PM Re: Worth Upgrading from Sonar XL 1.31 to 2.0?
Scottyee Offline

Pro: Thanks for your advice & recommendation of not going with the XL version of Sonar. I tend to agree with Freddynl that it's probably not worth the extra $99 (over Sonar 2.0). I decided to just upgrade from 1.31 to 2.0 for your other mentioned reasons. I've also read that Sonar 2.0 is much stabler than version 1.31.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
the new Yamaha OPT panels only work with Sonar 2.0.

Please explain what 'Yamaha OPT Panels' are, and how it might be used in Sonar in conjunction with the new Yamaha Tyros or PSR keyboards. Thanks. - Scott

#137476 - 09/30/02 03:22 PM Re: Worth Upgrading from Sonar XL 1.31 to 2.0?
Maged Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Scott,
You can also download it for FREE at http://www.kazaa.com/
Download their software then type “Sonar” in the search box, you’ll get multiple results, select the version you like, download it and uninstall the Kazaa software.
The reason I am advising to uninstall: It’s a 2-way communications tool where you can see other people’s computer contents while they see yours. If you uninstall it immediately after downloading Sonar you’ll be safe.

N.B. If you have an old 486 with 500 MB HD you can dedicate it for all Kazaa downloads.

Maged

#137477 - 09/30/02 04:02 PM Re: Worth Upgrading from Sonar XL 1.31 to 2.0?
Scottyee Offline

Maged: Thanks for the suggestion, but because I'm already a legally registered owner of Cakewalk Sonar, I'll just pay the upgrade fee to continue to receive free Cakewalk technical support & free maintenance upgrades. - Scott

#137478 - 09/30/02 06:08 PM Re: Worth Upgrading from Sonar XL 1.31 to 2.0?
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
I upgraded to 2.0 from 1.31 plain version not xl on both counts and I think the 2.0 does run somewhat smoother, with less hangups.

And FWIW....I too pay for these things..... And the people who make their living with these products are entitled to be paid for their work.
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 09-30-2002).]

#137479 - 09/30/02 08:21 PM Re: Worth Upgrading from Sonar XL 1.31 to 2.0?
BuleriaChk Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara,CA,USA
IMO, I think SONAR 2.0 XL is worth it for the DR-008 alone. Makes it real easy to use your samples in a drum kit, especially if you have the voices in an instrument list.

Chuck

#137480 - 10/01/02 07:14 AM Re: Worth Upgrading from Sonar XL 1.31 to 2.0?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Scott: Yamaha's Open Plug-in Technology or OPT panels are control panels and/or voice editors that work within other programs like Sonar 2.0. To my knowledge, the only OPT panels Yamaha has released so far are for the Motif and the Tyros (the stand-alone voice and file management programs that ship with the Tyros are also OPT panels). This allows you to open a voice editor from within Sonar 2.0 instead of having to use a completely seperate voice-editing program. As Yamaha says: "so you don’t have to open up a second application, “ALT+TAB” between programs, or tie yourself in knots with multiclient MIDI links". Yamaha tried this idea with their own XGWorks program and the plug-in voice editors that came with their PLG-family of expansion cards, but with the demise of XGWorks Yamaha has wisely chosen to create a technology that allows their exclusive voice editors to run within other popular programs. I am very hopeful that Yamaha will convert the expansion board plug-in programs to OPT and produce an XG OPT panel sometime soon. Yamaha has more info on OPT here:
http://www.yamahasynth.com/pro/opt/index.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online