SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#138871 - 12/27/06 11:35 AM Re: Tyros vs Ketron
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I thought the XD9 would be on par with the PSR3000, and the SD1+ was with the Tyros 1, and the SD5 was kinda in the middle, adding new sounds, software, polyphony and speakers, but taking away sampling and 76 keys?

NOw I'm very confused

#138872 - 12/27/06 12:23 PM Re: Tyros vs Ketron
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Sorry, I didn't think you could judge from those demos. They deffinitely don't use the strong instruments from the T2, and I'm assuming that's the case for the Ketron too. Let's here a brass demo instead! Or at least a realistic guitar piece?

Chony

#138873 - 12/27/06 03:40 PM Re: Tyros vs Ketron
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Can anyone tell me how to wipe egg off of my face??

Here's a funny story. I have been considering a new arranger , what to buy Korg PA 800, Ketron SD5, Tyros2 ? Maybe just adding the Korg PA800 to the PSR 3000 I currently own ?? I had mixed feelings about the T2, a bit too much like the PSR 3000. So, I've been trying hard to rationalize and be open minded/unbiased to other brands of keyboards. I like what I've heard about the SD5 and PA800, but have not demoed them. Short story is today I got the opportunity to spend a couple of hours demoing a T2. Gotta say with all the hype, then differing opinions, I had about ruled out the possiblity of a T2. Whoa!! was I surprised. As someone who's most of my training in piano I found the keyboard action so much better than the 3000, the sound quality as well to my ears was a quite a few steps above the 3000. I like Latin tunes and the SA guitars make a real difference playing that style of tunes. Talk about confusion, which way to go?? Stay tuned .

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 12-27-2006).]

#138874 - 12/27/06 03:48 PM Re: Tyros vs Ketron
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
first up Jazz Hooves aught to really get their facts right.
SD1+ is still the current top of the line Ketron, not the sd5 , sd5 is the latest mid range model?? ( AJ correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm no expert, but the sd5 recording sounded like it was recorded in a cavern, for want of a better term. Thought it might have been my headphones , but the T2 recording sounded fine.

Even the drums on my teenie Ketron SD2 sound module have more punch than what came thru via that recording .

Maybe the same person should have recorded both via the same recording equipment
(except for keyboards of course).

I've got a psr 1500 & the Ketron sd2 soundmodule (which I beleive is based on the sd5 sounds & is fairly inexpensive at $300 to $400 usd ), sound quality wise SD2 leaves my psr way behind. Maybe not a fair comparison, but would one stack a psr3000 against an sd1+.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#138875 - 12/27/06 04:23 PM Re: Tyros vs Ketron
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
My friend from the forum Jim P. called me this afternoon and asked if I had a chance to read any of these posts in this "hot" discussion. I hadn't. So, a few minutes ago I downloaded both songs.
I have both the SD5 and Tyros2 in my store. I listened to the first song done on the SD5. I could tell the style used was from the rock catagory called "westride". It sounded just awful when played on my $1200 pair of Roland Studio Monitors by my computer. I went over to the SD5 and called up this style and first thing I have to say is that this particular style has probably the worst sounding drum track the person recording could have used. The style is almost completely a bass drum on downbeats and a march type snare cadence which is played almost to sound like brushes rather than sticks. It's probably a style that I wouldn't use in my store to show off the quality of the SD5's drum sounds and beats. However, played live it still sounded way better than the example recorded. I wish he would choose something like a funk , blues, latin or big band style to compare. Some might still choose one brand over the other but the comparison would be more closely similar I would suspect.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#138876 - 12/27/06 05:39 PM Re: Tyros vs Ketron
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Ok, here I go again!
I've been comparing the two boards (one is on top and one below in my store)sitting on the same stand. The tyros has the external tyros speakers and the sub woofer. The ketron SD5 is using it's internal speakers with the bass boost on +3DB.
I've been playing Rock and Rock 1 and Rock and Roll 2 on both. In this example, the drums and style tracks on the Ketron really sound more live and exciting than the Yamaha. Please......I'm not putting down the Tyros2 or just praising the Ketron. I have both and I am just making a judgment based on my ears. The Ketron sounds more like a band and the Yamaha sounds more like a recording. It's just the more I listen to the example MP3 I think to judge the keyboard by this example is a mistake and not a true picture.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#138877 - 12/27/06 06:40 PM Re: Tyros vs Ketron
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I am just now listening to these demos ...
First I will say that IMHO the delay/echo on the Ketron version is way overdone and makes the tune difficult to hear ... I am not impressed with the overall performance...

I am now listening to the Tyros version and I have to say I think it is overall a better performance ...

BUT NEITHER performance blew me away ...

just my 5 cents worth ... (because a penny, even 2, is not worth anything nowadays )

I think I've heard better instrumental performances from members of this board ...

t.

#138878 - 12/27/06 07:40 PM Re: Tyros vs Ketron
Stein67 Offline

There is such a difference in quality, between those 2 examples, surely something is up. The Tyros 2 is miles ahead going by that demo. While I feel the Tyros probably is superior, I doubt a high end keyboard like the Ketron could sound THAT bad!!

As for the Tyros 2, as some of you may have read before I got mine on Christmas morning.....and I am absolutely delighted. As someone who has moved over from a Korg Karma and a Korg Trinity V3 Pro, I am so happy to be back in "arranger land"!! The sound quality is amazing.

I had been trying to decide which arranger to go for....and I am so happy with my choice of Tyros 2.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online