SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#14809 - 11/21/04 05:19 AM the truth about Genesys
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
i have read a lot of the early posts on the Genesys keyboard when the instrument first came out . There is very little info on the experience of those that actually own the board now a year or so later and what their views are of this instrument compared to the like s of Korg PA1 or the Tyros keyboard. the posts i have read so far dont deal with the folowing and i would like some advice as i will be purchasing an arranger board by January 2005. I currently own a yamaha psr 8000 and it has served its purpose well . I am an arranger , composer ,song writer and choir leader. Ineed an arranger to deliver my ideas to live musicians and for use in rehearsals with the choir . my questions are
1. What problems have users of this board experienced with the Sampler and can the sampler memory be expanded beyond the factory 16mb
2. Is the 64 note polyphony causing any problems with memebers that use multilayered sounds or complex sequences ?
3. How practical has the onboard CDR been in reality and
4 has anyone actually produced any work on this machine worthy of writing to CD for public consumption.

I play live and do not use a computer for production and would prefer an all in one instrument. I am about to start a project where i will be coordinating and producing the music for a play and need an instrument that i can use any time of day or night with the least amount of setup time and maximum sound quality and recording , arranging functionality. Please help

#14810 - 12/17/04 10:32 AM Re: the truth about Genesys
tazar Offline

Loc: san diego, CA, USA
Good Luck getting an objective reply

Tony Azar

#14811 - 12/17/04 11:54 AM Re: the truth about Genesys
Dazza Offline

Loc: Great Britain
Hi

Please find my response in relation to your questions. I have a Genesys Pro.

1. What problems have users of this board experienced with the Sampler and can the sampler memory be expanded beyond the factory 16mb

A) I have had no major problems with it but would ask the qusetion. What do you expect it to do and how will you use it. If it does what you want then why worry about what it dosent. I use it for sampling short backing vocal riffs in songs and the odd sound. I also load various instrument samples in and play them. Depending on how much of each you require depends on how much you eat into the memory.

2. Is the 64 note polyphony causing any problems with memebers that use multilayered sounds or complex sequences ?

Dosent cause me any problems. I remember when people were excited about 16 note polyphony.

3. How practical has the onboard CDR been in reality and
4 has anyone actually produced any work on this machine worthy of writing to CD for public consumption

The cd writer in my opinion is just a scratchpad record system. If you want to do a professional recording invest in a professional recorder. For playing songs and recording its fine. Ive never recorded vocals on cd as i have a pc with a proper recording studio.

In conclusion this is a keyboard. It does what it was designed to do and provides more in some areas than other competitors. The thing that lets it down is the software support - there dosent appear to be any. As with yamaha and korg they are always producing new styles.

#14812 - 12/17/04 07:19 PM Re: the truth about Genesys
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dazza:
....As with yamaha and korg they are always producing new styles.

Hey Dazza (and spalding),

I found some styles for the Genesys at the MusicMediaSoft site.

http://www.musicmediasoft.com/eng/catalogs/Email_Styles_eng.pdf

And while this list doesn't have a specific column for Genesys, it says down at the bottom that the WK4 and WK8 styles are compatible in the Genesys.

Hope this helps.

-mike

#14813 - 12/20/04 02:28 AM Re: the truth about Genesys
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

for good Styles look here: www.ms-cd.de.

It is German, but it's great.

Jackson0005

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online