Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#149670 - 05/28/03 09:11 PM Re: Velcro use on keyboard: Beakybird and all
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Tony: " (Scott's mirror should be fine tho)" lol

Terry: Pensacola

I am actually wanting to get a paint match from Home Depot (per DonnyP), and/or put velcro or something over a spot that has worn though the silver finish between the keys and the screen. I put my thumb there to pivot my hand around to operate the buttons around the screen. Seems to be quicker and more accurate, not to mention I am sure I use a lot less pressure on those buttons than if done free hand.

I am also considering going to an auto paint shop and let them do it professionally. Then it would be nice if I could put something clear over this area so I could still see the silver. But the main thing is I want something that looks nice and if I want to take it off to sell it later it looks good and doesn't take off the finish.

Scott Langholff

#149671 - 05/29/03 07:48 AM Re: Velcro use on keyboard: Beakybird and all
Bob Gelman Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
1. That sticky waffle stuff is "Shelf Liner". It works VERY well to keep gear from sliding around, especially if you pile one unit on top of another (I have a ZIP Drive on top of a SCSI CD on top of a ham radio tranceiver next to my synths).

2. Blue tack does work quite well (but I recently discovered that it will not hold very well if you have it on a unit that gets hot (I tried attaching some halogen [IKEA] lamps to my 9k and the tack wouldn't hold them because of the vibration and heat). THIS STUFF, HOWEVER, WILL NEVER BUT NEVER LEAVE ANY MARKS OR REMOVE ANY PAINT (unless it was peeling beforehand anyway). I use it to hold a "glare screen" above the screen on my PSR-9000.

3. Velcro is great stuff (discovered in late 40's by a guy who got burrs stuck on his socks when hiking). If you fasten it with glue it will take off your finish. It does wear out eventually with continuous use (the curley nylon looses its curl).

Bob

#149672 - 05/29/03 08:20 AM Re: Velcro use on keyboard: Beakybird and all
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
The specific type of INDUSTRIAL strength velcro strips I prefer using are called 'snap mount' or 'dual lock' velcro fasteners because BOTH sides of the velcro strip are the same, and self mating into each other for a solid interlock. This proves far superior to standard velcro. On my Tyros and PSR2000, I use this type of velcro to attach a portable halogen light(Littlelite)
http://www.littlite.com/product.php?id=34

Works great. I'm not worried about having to remove it because it's functionality will be immediately appreciated by future keyboard owners as well I'm sure.

3M 'Duo Lock':
http://www.fastenation.com/duallock.tmpl?cart=10542209961429677

Scott

#149673 - 05/29/03 09:49 AM Re: Velcro use on keyboard: Beakybird and all
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
hmmmm..but, what about the Goo gone. I'm wondering how strong this might be on the finish.

Ok. You guys got me so glued (gooed) on this issue that I just HAD to find out for myself what would happen if I tried Goo Gone
http://www.magicamerican.com/ggsl2big-b.jpg

to remove the velcro strip on my Yamaha Tyros.

GREAT NEWS! It completely removes the glue residue quickly & easily without affecting the silver paint finish whatsoever. I can atest that Goo Gone does not mar, discolor, or fade the surface of the Tyros keyboard in anyway. In fact, the Tyros keyboard silver color & surface now looks exactly the way it did BEFORE the velcro strip was attached. I recommend Goo Gone as a safe product to use on the Yamaha Tyros.

Scott

#149674 - 05/29/03 07:28 PM Re: Velcro use on keyboard: Beakybird and all
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Scott,
You are toooo brave!!! A brand new Tyros and you tested the effects of Goo gone on it!!!

What would you have done if it had stained??? (I would have cried I don't mind admitting )

Very best to you
Tony

#149675 - 05/29/03 08:27 PM Re: Velcro use on keyboard: Beakybird and all
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Ok. You guys got me so glued (gooed) on this issue that I just HAD to find out for myself what would happen if I tried Goo Gone]

to remove the velcro strip on my Yamaha Tyros.

GREAT NEWS! It completely removes the glue residue quickly & easily without affecting the silver paint finish whatsoever. I can atest that Goo Gone does not mar, discolor, or fade the surface of the Tyros keyboard in anyway. In fact, the Tyros keyboard silver color & surface now looks exactly the way it did BEFORE the velcro strip was attached. I recommend Goo Gone as a safe product to use on the Yamaha Tyros.
Scott

Scotty keep up posted about the paint on your Tyros if it happens to suddenly fade, smear, discolor or dissolve over time.

Frequently Asked Questions about Goo Gone

Can I use Goo Gone to remove tar, stickers, grease off my car?

Goo Gone is safe on your car exterior, using instructions for hard surfaces. It's safe on your upholstery and carpeting, using the instructions for carpeting. It's safe on the vinyl and glass, but may remove the tint from the tinted side of windows.

How can I remove lipstick, tar, grease from my carpeting?

Use Goo Gone, but use it properly. Goo Gone is an adhesive remover and, if used improperly, it can remove the adhesive that affixes the carpet fibers to the backing. Therefore, don't pour Goo Gone into the carpet. Put some on a clean, white rag and work the grease out, changing the rag surface periodically. When you're done, wash the carpet area with soap and water and rinse well with clean water.

Is Goo Gone safe on skin?

Safe, but avoid open wounds and wash with soap and water afterwards. Avoid prolonged contact with fingertips and under fingernails. Wear rubber gloves when using Goo Gone for long periods of time.

On what may I not use Goo Gone?

Non-washable fabrics, such as silks and satins, and natural materials, such as leather, suede, and rubber. It's not for photos, as it could damage the emulsion on the paper and be absorbed by the paper, leaving a yellow tint.

---------------------------------------------

One product that is advertised as nontoxic is a stain remover called "Goo Gone." According the material safety data sheet, the product, a mixture of petroleum naphthas and citrus oils, does not meet the definition of toxicity in the federal Hazardous Substance Act. The label on Goo Gone does, though, still have this warning for consumers: "Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Keep out of reach of children."

"We're still obliged as a manufacturer of . . . a spot and stain remover to warn consumers to still take caution with the product . . . Our product differs from others because it doesn't contain chlorinated solvents. If a child would drink several ounces, they wouldn't have permanent damage," says Scott Zeilinger, vice president of the Magic America Corporation, which makes Goo Gone.

And one toxicologist, when told the contents of the product, praised it. "It's a vast improvement on old-style cleaning agents," said Patricia Field, emeritus toxicology section chief of the State Laboratory of Hygiene of Wisconsin.

Goo Gone is also described as 100% organic, a description that raises questions in the mind of some authorities. "'Organic' is probably misused most of the time. I don't know what manufacturers mean when they say a product contains organic ingredients. At best they don't know what they're talking about, at worst they're out to deceive people," says Dickey. Referring to household cleaners, Dickey says organic may be meaningless in terms of safety. Organic, he notes, can simply mean containing carbon. "Certainly household cleaners contain organic chemicals, but that is by no means an indication of their safety. Organic chemicals include all kinds of toxic things, from PCB to benzene," Dickey says.

The FTC has not examined the term, though Dershowitz has questions about its meaning and use. "It's something we know is out there. I'm not sure I know what it conveys to consumers. I don't think I'd be remiss in saying that it probably conveys something positive about the product," he says.

Best regards,
Mike

#149676 - 05/30/03 09:07 AM Re: Velcro use on keyboard: Beakybird and all
Bob Gelman Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
I don't know if this would work instead of Goo Gone, but for many years I've been removing those annoying price stickers, which leave nasty smears especially on glass (i.e., picture frames) with Automotive Garage Hand Cleaner (comes in a big round plastic tub, like butter. Just a drop does the job really well.... Costs almost nothing and a tub, used for this purpose, will last a lifetime....

#149677 - 05/30/03 09:42 AM Re: Velcro use on keyboard: Beakybird and all
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony W:
Scott,
You are toooo brave!!! A brand new Tyros and you tested the effects of Goo gone on it!!! What would you have done if it had stained??? (I would have cried I don't mind admitting ) Very best to you
Tony

hi Tony, yeah I probably would have cried too, but even if it had stained the appearance (which I'm elated to say that it didn't), it would NOT have affected the single crucial aspect of the keyboard, it's SOUND; so decided it worth taking that risk to satisfy my insatiable curiousity. - Scott

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online