SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#159129 - 01/30/07 06:42 PM Re: Moving away from band work...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Well Diki...

We can "if" ourselves to death. If everything you suggested was reality, I think I'd certainly be more interested in continuing with the band. But the facts clearly say that's just not the case, so, instead of having band gigs most weekends to look forward to, I'll do more solo or duos.

To suggested that a sense of dialog is needed to truly make music, is IMO, a poor definition of music. There are countless peices of great music that were created for only one player. Further, I'd maintain that quite often the total sound of what I'm putting out is superior to what the band did at times.

Just before Christmas, I asked a pedal steel player to do a duo with me. It was a dance at a VFW near Cincy. The guys in the band, who understand that this venue won't ever be more than a duo, thought I was crazy. An arranger and a pedal steel player?

I knew I was taking a chance, but I'd heard him play, and could tell he had great chops and that he listened to what was happening musically around him with other players. I figured it would work out ok...The guy has done tours with Jerry Lee Lewis, Marty Robbins and others. He's attained a higher professional level than I have, IMO.

It was remarkable...

We talked a bit about what I wanted and by the end of the first set, it sounded like we'd been in rehearsals for a month. The crowd was really complimentary about how the two of us sounded together. I asked him on the ride home if he felt a little odd playing with a arranger player. He said it was one of the most musical nights he'd been a part of in quite a while. It was a kick for me because of the intense listening/reacting that was occuring.

From time to time, when I can use Duos, it'll be fun to work in concert with another player...but make no mistake friend, there just as much music in my solo shows as there is in a Duo or band gig.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#159130 - 01/30/07 07:24 PM Re: Moving away from band work...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I rest my case......

I have never said you HAVE to have a partner to make good music, but a good one can turn a regular gig into something special!

#159131 - 01/30/07 07:38 PM Re: Moving away from band work...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Diki,

No matter what the conditions of a group setting, at this point in my life, I would still prefer solo.

I enjoy solitude...it helps me grow, it centers me.

It's no different than a being a painter, a song writer or a novelist.

Everyone has a creative process that works for them...I have found mine, and I am content with it.

It is good to see you so passionate and smart about your ideals, but remember, I am every bit as passionate and smart about mine...just more realistic perhaps, considering the state of the music business, at least in my area.

I always consider alternatives, going solo was the one I chose over the others.

All the best,

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#159132 - 01/30/07 09:40 PM Re: Moving away from band work...
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Loved this thread although only an onlooker.
Could you tell this Ausie what animal clubs are.

Cousin Ken

#159133 - 01/31/07 12:11 AM Re: Moving away from band work...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
This issue is is very relative to the types of gigs and audiences you play to. I think OMB performers can replace bands in certain venues. At others I don't think they can.

I play with a classic rock band to audiences between 25-45. I just can't see a a OMB playing Van Halen, Led Zepplin or Red Hot Chilli Peppers anywhere close to a live rock band.

On the other hand we play some gigs where we are followed by a DJ serving up hiphop to an audience 25 and under. Then we are really out of the picture. The hiphop DJ can pull in a bigger audience at those venues than we do. So it all depends on the type of audience you are playing to.

#159134 - 01/31/07 12:13 AM Re: Moving away from band work...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Ian, I completely understand.....

What I worry about, though, is that there are many here at SZ that don't yet quite 'get' the advantages of playing and growing with other musicians. So many voices extolling the virtues of solo playing, I just feel a counter opinion needs to be offered before everybody fires all their coworkers and goes off to their solo gig!

You are perfectly right, SOME people are happier, and most comfortable on their own. But I wouldn't want to recommend it if alternatives haven't been tried, yet....

#159135 - 01/31/07 12:38 AM Re: Moving away from band work...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
What I worry about, though, is that there are many here at SZ that don't yet quite 'get' the advantages of playing and growing with other musicians.

I understand exactly what you are saying Diki. I really do. I just love playing with other players and always will. I do get a buzz from playing off a band of live musicians. It really is always a blast. That will always be my choice.

But you must understand there are other factors that drive OMB setups. I just love playing with a live band but then I don't have to rely on it as my main source of income ( thank God !!!! ). For musicians who play gigs that are suited to OMB performances then the financial incentives are obvious.

There is a big difference between what you need to do versus what you'd choose to do.

#159136 - 01/31/07 04:32 AM Re: Moving away from band work...
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
the 'wedding' bands that are working are excellent musicians and singers, there are often 8 to 12 of them in a group, and they get BIG money ...
Here is a sample of a group that played for 2 of the weddings in our family during the past 4 years ...
http://www.trtouch.com/samples.php

Take the time to watch the video, especially the 2 female vocalists ...

t. [/B]

WOW great stuff, great video production, pro all the way. Can you imagine the production cost for this group...transportation, stage hands, set up, sound system, sound engineers.
Guess how much they have to charge just to get to the job, before they even pay a performer.
You won't find these guys at the local animal club.

Caragabal - elks club, moose club etc.

#159137 - 01/31/07 05:16 AM Re: Moving away from band work...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
WOW great stuff, great video production, pro all the way. Can you imagine the production cost for this group...transportation, stage hands, set up, sound system, sound engineers.
Guess how much they have to charge just to get to the job, before they even pay a performer.
You won't find these guys at the local animal club.
Caragabal - elks club, moose club etc.

Mike ... you are right they are "PRO" all the way ...
they will perform anything from Benatar to Boccelli ... their version of "The Prayer" was outstanding ... The young lady with the straight dark hair has a really good voice and can 'sell' a song ... the first time I heard them they had a female drummer who played great and sang excellent harmony ... And while they don't usually play the 'animal clubs' they do weddings on a regular basis ... mostly 8 to 10 pieces ... and they rock the house from the minute you walk in to the minute you walk out ...
t.

#159138 - 01/31/07 05:43 AM Re: Moving away from band work...
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
They must be expensive,even for a wedding they would certainly be out of my price range.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online