SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#173307 - 12/07/02 11:21 AM I left my heart....guess where?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
I have just uploaded to my site another song: "I left my heart in San Francisco". To record this song I have used a 9000 pro style called Lounge Piano, but all the instruments come from the SD1. They are: Night Sax, Golden Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, Slow Strings and Violas.
The most complex part was to arrange the strings and the horns; to achieve a decent result I had to listen carefully to the version by Tony Bennett and had also to analize track by track a midifile found on the styles-music.de site. To record this song I have spent more than three weeks; for comparison sake, a song like "Toussaint l'overture" (which I am still very proud of) took me just one day of work.
I have already dedicated songs to all the Synthzone members I have met in California in June, but this one is dedicated to all the friends met in the Bay Area who are not members of this Forum. They are (in strict alphabetical order): Bill, Debbie, Don, Rick and Ross. I really hope to meet them again soon.
http://andrearotolo.tripod.com/dreamer/id1.html

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 12-08-2002).]

#173308 - 12/07/02 12:20 PM Re: I left my heart....guess where?
trtjazz Offline

Andrea,
Very nice. I especially liked the trumpet sound. I also like the way you switched the instrument for the lead half way....I thought the mix was perfect and all in the right place in the mix....bravo.
jam on,
Terry

#173309 - 12/07/02 12:35 PM Re: I left my heart....guess where?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Dear Andrea,

I just notified Debbie, Ross, Rick, and Don and they are all DEEPLY TOUCHED by your dedication . Your heartfelt performance and melodic phrasing is great and the SD1 sax/trumpet sound sounds OUTSTANDING.

The only flaw that bothers me a bit, especially because it's the important 'hook line' to the tune is the note you played for the word 'YOU' in the last 8 bar vocal line: "When I come home to 'YOU' San Francisco", the note played should be a Db, not a D. I hope you don't mind that I pointed this out, afterall you already know what perfectionist I am, right

Did you guys know that Tony Bennett originally thought " I Left My Heart in SF" was going to be the B side of the record? The other side was 'Once Upon a Time' from a show called 'All-American' starring Ray Bolger, also a great tune. Finally the record executives came running to him and said, 'No, no, the people want the other side -- stop working on 'Once Upon a Time.'

As you all probably can guess, this is the MOST REQUESTED song I get on my gigs here in the SF Bay area.

Andrea: On behalf of all your friends here in the Bay Area, THANK YOU. We ALL love ya man. Come back and visit us soon.

Scott

#173310 - 12/07/02 01:00 PM Re: I left my heart....guess where?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Great Job Andrea.
DonM

#173311 - 12/07/02 03:27 PM Re: I left my heart....guess where?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Hey Andrea (Dreamer),
I just finished listening to your latest release about Babylon, the city by the sea.
That is about as good as it can get on an arranger. It is supurb. You did super well. We love it, and say thank you.
I wish I could get it into my 9000, it would become a theme song for every time I play out. People here in the bay area still claim this song as their own and Tony Bennet too.
I wouldn't be suprised to hear that Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has been knocking on your door to do the arrangements and music for his lyrics on his new CD. I think he would be making an excellent choice. You have done everything else, you might as well try politics too while you are still young enough to run
Best to you my friend and thanks from Bill and Jann. She loves it too, and wants to know why I don't play like that anymore? DUH!
Bebop

#173312 - 12/07/02 03:32 PM Re: I left my heart....guess where?
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Andrea,
What more can I say, this is good work. I enjoyed it, D and all.
Scott keeps us on our toes... but this is good! Thats why the music keeps getting better.
Regards,
Lou

#173313 - 12/07/02 10:39 PM Re: I left my heart....guess where?
Dreamer Offline

Dear friends,
thank you all for your words which repay me for my efforts. As I have already said, you are the best and most competent audience one can hope for. Scott is right, it is indeed a Db and not a D, but what should I do now? Yes, I could try to record again the lead tracks but maybe won't get the same feeling anymore.... that's one of those moments when I really regret for not having done a midifile; changing a note on a midifile is so simple!
Terry, Scott, Don, Bill, Lou: thank you again; before Christmas I hope to make you another couple of surprises, not to mention that during the holidays I should have more time to dedicate to music.
Andrea

#173314 - 12/08/02 02:27 AM Re: I left my heart....guess where?
Dreamer Offline

Following Scott's suggestion I have recorded again the lead tracks; I hope that this time everything is right and the original feeling is not lost.

#173315 - 12/08/02 10:53 AM Re: I left my heart....guess where?
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Andrea, Very Good indeed it is , as are all your MP3's (still got mother listening to blue moon - when you can see it amidst these clouds that is ) Very well done.

Tony

#173316 - 12/08/02 11:11 AM Re: I left my heart....guess where?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Andrea. Lei la canzone sembra perfetto adesso. Grazie. - Scott

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online