SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17447 - 06/29/99 03:10 AM Controlling Korg 01/W fd with Cakewalk?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There's probably a trivial solution for this one, but please help out a rookie.

I've made a couple of songs with my Cakewalk Pro Audio 5.0 and played them through my sound board, GUS PnP. Recently I got myself a Korg 01/W fd which I'd like to be the sound source from now on. However, I can't get it to play more than one channel at a time - the so called Midi Global Channel, about which the Owner's Manual says

"MIDI channel determines the transmission and reception channel for musical data in Program mode, Combination changes in Combination mode, and for system exclusive data."

There was this same problem in some of the newsgroups and such around the internet, but the solutions always suggested to try out switching Korg to Combi or Seq Mode. That
didn't help, though. Or simply wasn't enough.

The cables should be correctly installed, at least I managed to record something with another program (for Cakewalk I need to install Hubi's Midi loopback device, but that's the sound boards fault). And I can
play one (and one only) channel with Cakewalk as well. The Korg, I suppose, was
just reseted to factory settings.

#17448 - 06/30/99 01:55 AM Re: Controlling Korg 01/W fd with Cakewalk?
Ward Music Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
You are using the Korg in the Program mode. In this mode, it only responds to one channel (the Global channel).

Switch to SEQ (or Sequencer) mode. Each track in the 16-track sequencer will be set to a different MIDI channel by default. If it is not, check the MIDI channel on pages 3 and 4.

Set the Local Control setting in the Global mode on page one to "OFF" and Cakewalk's MIDI Echo (in the Project Options MIDI input box) to 'Auto'. With this setting, you will not have to change anything, including the global channel on the O1/W. Set up the Instruments option on Cakewalk to be the Korg O1/W on channels 1 through 16 of your MIDI out port, and start sequencing!

Remember to select a new MIDI channel for every new track!

Steve Martin
Ward Music

#17449 - 06/30/99 07:28 AM Re: Controlling Korg 01/W fd with Cakewalk?
WS Offline

Also, if you are using floppies on the synth, you need to format differently. Synths sequence every track to 1 track. Cakewalk uses different tracks. One is Format 0 and the other Format 1. Just go to SAVE AS in CW and it will let you select which format...I don't remember which is 0 and 1. You will see all of your tracks combine to one in CW though...or, if you are playing a song and it is recorded to 1 track...you can use the other format to seperate them. You do need to be in seq. or multimode in order to listen to the different midi channels.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online