SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17974 - 05/26/99 11:44 PM Help on which Synth to buy
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am a bass player and my wife plays piano but wants to switch to synth. She is interested in an older low price synth that is good for playing out and also recording
We have a Boss Dr-660 that we would like to hook up to it also. Also I want it to be as much midi compatable as possible.

Any suggestions?????

#17975 - 06/09/99 10:16 PM Re: Help on which Synth to buy
Ward Music Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
You might look for a used Korg X3 or O1/W. These have a decent sequencer and a disk drive for song storage on the road. They are both fully MIDI compatible, and can control the DR-660 (although you won't need it if you use the keyboard's drum sounds).

Steve Martin
Ward Music Ltd.

#17976 - 06/11/99 11:31 AM Re: Help on which Synth to buy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi. I can recommend korg i3 which I have used live for over 3 years. I can't remember if I got a reply posted to you before, if so, my apologies for repeating the message.
The i3 is cheap enough to pick up second-hand these days, and has a few programmable features for making your own noises as well as a fine set of on-board sounds. There is no doubt that the newer korg i30 is even better and even more flexible with new technology on board, but obviously is more expensive, probably around $1500 in USA. Try to get one with a built-in hard drive if you go this route. It makes a fantastic difference for live, studio and songwriting duties. Hope this helps. It has worked for me at least. Best wishes. Bob in Scotland.

#17977 - 07/11/99 10:04 PM Re: Help on which Synth to buy
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
hello my name is jack, I am in an experimental electronic band called MODIFY . What do you want out of a synth ? If you want sampled instrument sounds it doesn't matter what you by because all the manufactuers want their keyboards to sound realistic. If you want to be unique you might try some older Korg synths like the DW6000, DW8000, DS-8, POLY 800, DSS-1 ( that ones really cool ) . These synths all have MIDI , let YOU create your own sounds with ease , and most of all you can get them cheap compared to the over priced pre-set casio like I series and N series or the M-1 and all of it's spin offs.

#17978 - 07/14/99 09:18 AM Re: Help on which Synth to buy
WS Offline

Depends on how much you want to spend but you can't go wrong with an 01W/Pro at the right price. It is older and will not have all of the features offered on new synths though. Alot of us like the sound of the older models over the newer ones but that is subjective. I would recommend getting an X5DR and a master keyboard like Fatar. The X5DR is discontinued and is being closed out at under $400 ($850 retail).Does she want a full 88 key hammeraction or synth action??? Big difference in price.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online