SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#18160 - 02/21/00 07:36 AM Help me blow 500$ toaday or tomorrow!
Arvon45 Offline

Loc: USA
Hey all. I have 500$ to blow today.
All my considerations revolve around music in some way. My choices are:

1. A new, 650 mhz CPU for my new motherboard ( currently running a p2 300)

2. The MOSS card for my Triton

3. Towards a good PA setup ( currently have no outboard sound for Triton )

Thanks for helping me shop today!

As you can tell, I HATE making monetary decisions.

#18161 - 02/22/00 08:45 PM Re: Help me blow 500$ toaday or tomorrow!
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
Definitly go for some outboard monitoring. Listening through headphones exclusively will fatigue your ears and cumulatively damage your hearing over time. You can't upgrade your ears later! Take it from someone with a thankfully mild case of tinnitus, it matters.
There's a gap in price between modest little
powered monitors and much better speakers, powered or not. There has been a burst of good powered speakers lately, with more sophisticated goodies from Mackie, Yamaha and the like. $500 could land you a very serviceable pair, $700 and up even more.
If you already have a suitable amp or powered mixer, the field is a little more tricky, but not insurmountably so.
You might have to hold yer water a bit and add another $100 or two, but you're probably going to be living with them for some time, so do right by yourself and be patient. Its hard to gauge these speakers in a music store, but then, its hard to go wrong these days.
Only an experienced engineer will be able to hear minute differences as a rule, so don't worry about getting a bad deal; the field has leveled off nicely.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online