SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#183418 - 07/17/06 04:36 AM Virtual Midi Sliders freeware (any potential as "motorized sliders"???)
cwalkeralso Offline

Loc: State of Washington, US
Recently I've read some posts noting how great it would be to have motorized sliders to dynamicly alter the relative volumes of style channels while playing in arranger mode.

While I'm not very midi savvy (I'm working on it), I think I've stumbled across a software midi controller that MIGHT have potential to serve in this way. I've not yet played around with it, but thought I'd mention it here in case anyone might know something about it, or want to give it a try.

Any input to this matter will be appreciated.

The program is found at:
http://www.granucon.com/vms.html

Charles

#183419 - 07/17/06 09:20 AM Re: Virtual Midi Sliders freeware (any potential as "motorized sliders"???)
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Motorised Sliders
In the old days when you adjusted the volume (Physical) sliders to balance your sounds, they could not be stored in presets, and therefore you had to rebalance the sound with the sliders every time you changed a preset. (In those days the quality of the sounds were not great and so an optimised sound balance was not so critical)
Things improved over the years, and the later instruments allowed the position of the volume sliders to be stored in a preset, the down side was that when you changed presets, although the volumes changed, there was no indication of where the sliders were positioned when the preset was stored.
The way some manufactures got round this, was to actually fit motors to the sliders so that when you selected the preset, the motor moved the slider to the correct position.
The first time I saw this, was about 1981/2 when Yamaha bought out the FS series Organs/Electones, (All based on the DX7 Synth) unfortunately when the HS series was introduced in about 1985, they reverted to touch pads with LED indication. (Much cheaper to produce)
I hope the above helps to allow people to understand, what is meant by motorised sliders.

Bill

#183420 - 07/17/06 09:22 AM Re: Virtual Midi Sliders freeware (any potential as "motorized sliders"???)
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
FS70, HX1, MC600, HS8 those were the days..

#183421 - 07/17/06 10:27 AM Re: Virtual Midi Sliders freeware (any potential as "motorized sliders"???)
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida

#183422 - 07/17/06 11:17 AM Re: Virtual Midi Sliders freeware (any potential as "motorized sliders"???)
cwalkeralso Offline

Interesting reading, but no one addressed whether or not this software might be able to simulate the functions of true motorized sliders -- which was the purpose of my original post. (Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.)

Virtual Midi Sliders does, for instance, have the ability to group sliders, and to "morph" between settings. I suspect you can store presets, and return to original settings -- but I don't know this. I just came across the program yesterday, and haven't even had time to install it yet. Hopefully, I'll get to it soon, and determine for myself whether or not it will be useful. I'll let you know my findings.

Charles

#183423 - 07/17/06 12:59 PM Re: Virtual Midi Sliders freeware (any potential as "motorized sliders"???)
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Virtual sliders cannot replace motorised physical sliders, as to use the software would require part of the main playing screen to be obscured, thus defeating the object of separate sliders.
If you’re purchased the CME controller that Diki mentioned, then providing the keyboard will accept the midi codes, again the virtual sliders become redundant, as they are built in to the controller.
Finally you need a computer to run the program, which means more setup time, more wires and inconvenience.
So the answer to your question is no.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#183424 - 07/17/06 02:53 PM Re: Virtual Midi Sliders freeware (any potential as "motorized sliders"???)
cwalkeralso Offline

Thanks Bill for your input.

Charles

#183425 - 07/17/06 03:26 PM Re: Virtual Midi Sliders freeware (any potential as "motorized sliders"???)
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Best of luck trying to mouse on-screen faders around in the middle of a gig........

Unless your laptop screen is touch sensitive, what's the point of a virtual slider? You still have to move it (and probably two more at the same time!) and get your hands back to the keyboard accurately and quickly - not at all easy with a trackpad or mouse.

Get a keyboard with real faders. So much the better if they are motorized, but even without (PA-1X, G70 etc.), it's WAY more effective than a mouse..........

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online