I can't save to or load from my 01/Wfd's disk drive anymore. When I try, I get an "ERROR: Data Error" message. The rest of the instrument still works like a champ, including the sequencer. I had the disk drive replaced for a king's ransom by an ALLEGEDLY competent tech who does such work, but who mainly repairs organs. No go and for $265 bucks too, argh!
If the drive isn't right in some area (bad belt, etc.), that's a small fix. If its the 3-layered PROPRIETARY mother board, I'm screwed, since its 3 generations and about 8-9 years old now. Being told to just buy a Yamaha MDF2 or 3 and "live with it" is a crappy "solution." Yeah, it "should" be hooked up to a PC for several good reasons, bypassing the internal drive completely, but I don't wanna further complicate my rig yet; I bought the 01/Wfd because it IS self-contained.
The one shop I found that has a proper synth tech could verify the drive status for $35+, but I'm pretty wary now.
Do any of you know of a start-up sequence of button presses that might tell me if its merely a CONNECTION fault or a failure of some component of the mother board? The companies themselves provide LOUSY service (if ANY) after the sale; that's the dark side of consumer electronics for ya. Spending considerable bucks to ship it to/from the nearest factory shop (with NO idea of what the end charges will be) seems drastic until I exhaust all other possibilities. Got any suggestions that don't involve me having to just grab my ankles? Any shortcuts that might help me at least diagnose it properly?

HellPope Huey
Worn drive heads,
presently pissed-off attitude