SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#19138 - 03/13/00 02:11 PM Roland piano is better than korg's ?
YtseJam Offline

Loc: Slovenia
Hi !
i heard korg synths have very lousy piano sounds. i heard trinity's piano and it sucks big time ! so i'm wondering if triton has better piano sound like roland JV-1080 modul which is very good i think.
how much is k2000R better than K2500R ??
is thinl kurzweil synths have very good piano
right ?

thanks

simon

#19139 - 03/13/00 03:00 PM Re: Roland piano is better than korg's ?
Inray Offline

Loc: GREECE
Just don't ask...
Korg pianos (acoustic) are the WORST among other synths. Roland has far better sounds.
K2500,2600 have some of the best piano samples ever made.

#19140 - 03/13/00 03:18 PM Re: Roland piano is better than korg's ?
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hi YtseJam,

Yes, I agree with InRay the Kurz's have great piano sounds. I like them better than the Roland ones. I own a Trinity and the Piano sucks. I didn't find the Triton any better.

In regards to the Kurzweil, you got the order wrong. The K2500R has more features than the K2000R (and more polyphony). There is also a K2600R now too which is similar to the K2500R. However, it has a newer redesigned main board, has 2 additional ROM slots, the KDFX option installed as standard. Apparently there are some future features of the Kurz OS that will only be included in the K2600 and not the others. The 'R' models are rack-mount only. You need a keyboard controller for them.

Oh well. Each of these units has its strengths and weaknesses so you'd best go for which one suits you best in terms of features.

HTH,
Fernando

#19141 - 03/18/00 04:19 AM Re: Roland piano is better than korg's ?
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
A couple of points-

a). The Triton and Trinity both have crap factory acoustic piano sounds. However, I've not come accross any synthe (except perhaps a Kurzweil) that has nice stock acoustic piano patches (including Roland JV's and XP's).

b). Korg have a dedicated PCM piano/organ expansion board for the Triton which I quite like. I play (and teach) both piano and organ and I find the patches on this board nice to play.

c). New keyboards to check out with nice factory acoustic piano sounds- YAMAHA S80 and ROLAND XV88. Both have 88 note weighted keyboards to make playing these sounds just so much more satisfying (note- I hate playing acoustic piano sounds from an unweighted keyboard!).

d). Don't simply go by what you read on this (and any other) post and site, USE YOUR EARS and get into the shops to hear for yourself what sounds good or not! Everyone's opinions are different when it comes to this often senstive topic. Cheers.

#19142 - 03/20/00 10:07 PM Re: Roland piano is better than korg's ?
Per Offline

Loc: Westminster, CO, USA
Actually, there is one Korg unit with an excellent piano on board. It's the TR Rack module. It has a different piano than the Trinity. It's the same samples as the main sound in Korg's SGproX. You need to do some tweaking on the envelope and FX, but I have both, and it is the same sound. I've never liked any of Roland's pianos. They all have a certain 'boxy' sound in the mid-range that reminds me of the old RD and MKS pianos. Not very realistic in the upper range, either. Even the acclaimed Session board grand is tinny in the upper register. And the A90 piano is awful.

#19143 - 03/21/00 07:35 AM Re: Roland piano is better than korg's ?
WindsongMan Offline

Loc: Fremont, CA USA
Per, I agree with you 100 % I own the Tr-Rack and I have been scratching my head reading all the remarks about Trinity piano sounds. And I own Roland, too.
Which piano programs or combis are you tweaking ? Can you share your custom setting?
I really like Eauditorium, compressed and acoustic pianos.

#19144 - 04/10/00 11:23 PM Re: Roland piano is better than korg's ?
wizbang Offline

Loc: San Marcos,Texas,USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Inray:
Just don't ask...
Korg pianos (acoustic) are the WORST among other synths. Roland has far better sounds.
K2500,2600 have some of the best piano samples ever made.

Inray-I'm new to the board-read almost all of your postings after hearing you use the kb's that I'm looking at buying in the next few days... I am a classically trained pianist, write music, and as best I can tell, would be best served with a workstation type setup. I can't afford the 2500/2600x, or I would. I want the acoustic hammer feel, and am debating btw the s80, triton pro x, and the xv88. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thx!!!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online