SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#19320 - 09/19/00 04:24 AM Idiot Question
Lelio Offline

Loc: England
I have a Sy77 hooked up to a Korg Triton...I want to be able to play them in time together via midi without the Sy77 triggering the Tritons sounds and vice-versa ie how am I able to use the 16 tracks on each independently to write songs..but have them synchronized??
Help!
Lelio

#19321 - 09/19/00 02:17 PM Re: Idiot Question
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
One of them has to be the master, and the other has to be the slave. The only way to separate what each plays is to have different midi channels assigned to each synth. Do you know how to do that? For example - if the triton played channels 1-8, have the other one play channels 9-16. Then there would be no overlap and all 16 parts could be played!

#19322 - 09/19/00 11:43 PM Re: Idiot Question
Clif Anderson Offline

Maybe its true that the only way to have the two synths play separate parts is to assign different midi channels. However, with my equipment, I can decide whether or not notes are transmitted, whether or not notes are received, whether or not midi clock is transmitted, and whether or not a device is govered by an internal clock or a received midi clock. So I do not worry about channels, I turn off transmission of midi notes, have one device transmit midi clock and the other respond to it. Whther this works for the SY77 and Triton, I do not know.

#19323 - 09/20/00 11:38 AM Re: Idiot Question
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hi Lelio,

It is probably best to have one synth completely control the other rather than trying to sync them in this way if you want to use them live. I find that sync-ing sequencers can give you headaches.

Okay, so you can use one sequencer only. I don't know about the SY-77 but I know that the Triton can have its sequencer tracks set to play internal sounds, external sounds or both. Consult the manual for what each of these means. So, for any tracks that you want to play back just SY-77 sounds, you would set them to external and then it would not play any internal Triton sounds.

You would need to connect a MIDI cable from the MIDI out of the Triton to the MIDI in of the SY-77 in order for this to work. You would not have the ability to play a sound on the SY-77 (from it's keyboard) along with a Triton sound though since the Triton would be the master so-to-speak. You could, however, play a sound on the Triton and have a sound also play on the SY-77.

When you switch to program or combi mode, you would have to be careful that the Global MIDI channels for each of the synths was on differnet MIDI channels. Otherwise, every time you play a sound on the Triton, it would play back a sound on the SY.

HTH,
Fernando

#19324 - 09/24/00 09:28 PM Re: Idiot Question
transit712 Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA USA
Lelio, personally I would quit the sy77 sequencer and commit to the triton. Or at least make one the master. You will definitely find more flexiblility and visual with the triton. It's possible you can run into time off-set problems syncing the two sequencer or maybe you want to do tempo changes throughout the song. You can turn off the Rx (for the appropriate channel) on either synth or create layers with the both of them. Consider using computer software and a MIDI interface in the near future. You can get more out of your boards using all 16 MIDI channels.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online