SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#19365 - 02/02/01 03:48 PM Triton and MOSS
FreakBoy Offline

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA
Just wondering what the polyphony of our beast the Triton is with the MOSS expansion card, and the multitimbrality for that matter.

I'm interested in getting a Triton. With it's general capabilities and the MOSS it's a showstopper for me, but polyphony is an issue.

------------------

Seth

#19366 - 02/02/01 11:28 PM Re: Triton and MOSS
Arvon45 Offline

Loc: USA
Triton is 68 voices with MOSS installed. I just got the MOSS board, and it is simply amazing. Sounds like a Nord Lead or a Jupiter 8. Simply amazing, fat sound. Can also do accoustic modelling.

Get this-

every patch in Triton is user-writeable.

The combination programs let you put MOSS, sampler, and Triton waveforms into one patch , with two arrpegiators kicking and the incredible Triton efx.

I got this board a year ago, and am still amazed at the amazing things it can do.

The MOSS has several types of modelling. From analog to accoustic. Really good stuff.

68 poly is just fine.

Its not like Roland where they say its 128 polypony but good sounds use 4 voices apiece.

#19367 - 02/03/01 06:39 AM Re: Triton and MOSS
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
(Its not like Roland where they say its 128 polypony but good sounds use 4 voices apiece)

that makes it 32 polyphonic.so would you chose 68 or 32?

------------------
vic

#19368 - 02/05/01 10:57 AM Re: Triton and MOSS
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hi,

Just to clarify,

Arvon45 wrote,
> Its not like Roland where they say its 128 polypony but good sounds use 4 voices apiece.

Well, this is not entirely true. Not all patches in a Roland XV module use 4 voices. It is true that many use 3 or 4 voices but not *all* of the good sounds use 4 voices.

Arvon45 forgot to mention that many programs (not all of course) in a Triton use 2 voices (ie double-mode). So, a Triton is a 62-voice machine, and, if you use only double-mode programs, it is actually a 31-voice machine. With the MOSS board it is a 68-voice and 37-voice synth respectively.

When making comparisons such as these it is important to state all of the facts rather than swaying someone to your own personal preference. Each synth has its own drawbacks and its own strengths. Polyphony is roughly about equal. Okay, so the Triton comes out a little ahead when you take it down to a 37-voice synth but it's not that much more really. Don't forget too that those 6 voices come from the MOSS board so you don't get 37-voices from the ROM sounds or loaded samples.

Just thought I'd clear things up a bit.

Fernando

[This message has been edited by fvicente (edited 02-05-2001).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online