SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#197404 - 02/14/04 02:23 PM Performance contracts...?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Need some advice from members who play regularly at restaurants and lounges. The restaurant I have worked at for 13 years recently opened a second location. I have been playing 4 nights a week from May thru September. Now, I am supposed to book entertainment six nights a week for both lounges all year and four nights a week for the patio season. I will play whatever shift I want and probably change locations several times during the year. In the winter I will have to fulfill some long-standing obligations, so I will be booking up to four singles or duos per night.

I want to do things right, but with minimum hassle. These establishments have me on salary, to handle all advertising and marketing as well. Owners have had the premier restaurant in the area for over 30 years.

Here are my questions:

1. Summers, it is impossible to predict when there will be a cancellation due to rain. The job pays $150.00 for three hours. Is a $100.00 fee for a job cancelled the day of the job appropriate or are there other ways to fairly handle the situation? Since Iam on salary, this has never been a problem.

2. Contracts: Up until now, I have simply called a friend and we each played one of the lounges, with a handshake agreement and payment on Saturday night. I know the guy well, so that's no problem. He has never asked for a contract, since the place is so well known and we are friends. Now, with four acts working a night starting in May, I want to do the right thing. What is the practice in your area(s)? Do you prepare a contract or is one originated by the house used? How do you handle repeat jobs?

Friends are very comfortable with a verbal agreement, but now I have promotional packages from over 50 people; many new folks I've never heard of looking for work. All know of the places and the reputation of both the owners and myself.

What would you suggest? Are deposits required? What about open ended jobs with two weeks notice on either end? To save time, if I find several people who do a good job, I'd like to work that way.

3. Booking agents...I never used them personally and don't particularly like them.
What's your experience, and how do you work with them?

Could you please give me an idea relative to the above questions? I'm having this problem because in the 40 years plus I have played, I only required a contact one time (thank goodness I had it). I play for the same companies and restaurants and simply bill them after the performance. I realize that's not the norm and want to be fair, without creating a lot of extra work for myself.

Thanks in advance or your advice.

Russ

#197405 - 02/14/04 09:38 PM Re: Performance contracts...?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:

Is a $100.00 fee for a job cancelled the day of the job appropriate

More than fair. I worked a deck job a few summers back and if it cancelled by noon of the same day ... there was NO $$$$$.

Quote:
Do you prepare a contract? How do you handle repeat jobs?

With this new intense schedule, I suggest a simple contract. It's more of a reminder than a handcuff. A real pro will welcome a contract, and it can only help keep relations on a business level.

Quote:
Are deposits required? What about open ended jobs with two weeks notice on either end?

No deposits are needed for repetitive work. Two weeks notice is more than fair for an ending. Some places don't give any notice, and that just stinks.

Quote:
Booking agents... how do you work with them?

VERY carefully. They have a rep for taking advantage, so be careful. Make sure an agent cannot steal control of your room. They do it all the time. They promise tons of entertainers, and garuntees, so the house feels secure. All they see is the $$$$ though. Deal with care - make sure they KNOW that it is YOUR room to book.

For the most part - this will be an enjoyable adventure for you. You get the flexibility to set your own schedule, and fill in with subs when you need the time off. The times that you will hate it is when:
A) an act fails to show up ..... or
B) an act fails to entertain in the maner you are used to ...... or
C) an act decides to skate around YOU and go straight to the owners looking for more $$$ or control.

Be fair, but be careful. Good luck !

#197406 - 02/15/04 07:54 AM Re: Performance contracts...?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ditto! UD hit the nail on the head with every aspect--especially the agents. I've worked with four over the past six years, and none were worth a damned.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#197407 - 02/16/04 08:24 AM Re: Performance contracts...?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks! Spent the week-end reviewing materials and listening to audition CD's.

WOW! Most are completely inappropriate for an upscale restaurant. The word is out and we're getting 10 calls and visits a day. Some are willing to play for little or nothing. I wish these folks would be more professional. Bad players ofering to undercut the rate won't work here, but just
muddies the waters.

I'm writing a note to the ones we will not use, advising them to study the market and not to contact us again.

Thanks again,

Russ

#197408 - 02/16/04 04:40 PM Re: Performance contracts...?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Russ,
Establish a budget for the room, treat the performers fairly and pay them all the same scale.... as long as they hold the crowd. Don't fall into the "headcounter" mentality thinking that a duo is worth more than a soloist ... NO NO NO ! Judge every act on merit alone !

I wish you luck - the booking thing CAN be a nightmare. Be strong, and fair .. you'll be great.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online