SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#199005 - 01/15/02 10:54 PM Re: The King
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Any form of dependancy is a "self inflicted" wound. It can't happen unless YOU allow it to. It's like alcohlism or depression - both valid physical symptoms, but 100% curable, and very possible to avoid. People need to take more responsibility for their OWN actions and worry less about what others may think or do.
Pierce, I know you mean well, but preaching about the evils of songs on a music site is going to get you nowhere.
Let's get off the couch and back on stage, kay?

#199006 - 01/16/02 01:13 AM Re: The King
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
Dave easy up I may have erred in using the word majority of songs or words to that effect but I fundamentally disagree with you on this issue. First To say I mean well is paternising and of no help. Second you are not correct in your understanding of dependency. Thirdly I was not preaching of evil I was merely saying in my own words that alot of songs have wrong messages. Surely you are open to that. We have a song much requested here "The veil of white lace"
1 Veil of white lace.
The main character "LOVES" a girl
He hears she is going to marry another.
He goes to chapel and shoots the bride.
As he leaves the church his girl is
walking across the church grounds.
He has shot the wrong girl.
SICK -- 1 Shooting someone he "loves"!!!
2 Shooting the other one.
3 Depicts this as love.
I am trying in my own singing to be aware of the wrong messages. You are this way minded also so I do not see that we have basically any issue only understanding.If you are suggesting that we not look at the words then say so, however I think we are saying the same thing ie Look at the messages. I am not preaching I have and still do fail to look at them at times. However many do contain messages that individually and collectively lead to wrong programming. If you are saying that misinformation is not responsible for alot of our thinking try telling a french man to speak Irish--he only learned French. Dave Glad to see you are in good fighting spirits and I dont only mean well. Pierce

#199007 - 01/16/02 01:37 AM Re: The King
flowerssupply Offline

PS I am still workin on our house and a bit overworked so I must have put the case wrong at first anyway if tom Cav cant understand I must be wrong!!!!. Best wishes Pierce

#199008 - 01/16/02 08:54 AM Re: The King
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That "shotgun bride" song is pure trash, just like many american rap songs that feature a violent, disrespectful content. I don't even sing Eric Claptan's "Cocaine" because of the message. There are thousands of garbage tunes that are thrown at us each year that should NEVER be heard, but we have this "free speech" issue that people abuse alot. It's a pity.
The music on the pop stations (in the US, anyway) is loaded with crap from cop-killing to infidelity to self harm. I agree that music is a vehicle for these terrible, harmful thoughts to travel in, but I can't see the codependency issue in the light, pop, country songs that speak of love...in our previous posts.
I understand that you deal with troubled youths, and that is certainly admirable. I wish I had a crystal ball to see into the head of my 16 yr old, but that's not the point - the point is, LOVE is good. I know you agree with that....you seem like a genuine, loving person.
I just hate it when people try to trash the simple, good things in life by over analasys. I think we agree that there is too much hurtful, and harmful lyric in the music world - but that is no different than the literary word, or the theatre or the cinema, or even TV for Pete's sake! This evil lurks everywhere, and it's up to each of us to partake in it, or not. I choose NOT to. My songs are positive and entertaining, and harm no one. I avoid the drug topics, and I don't use harsh language either. I treat my craft, not only as an Art form, but as a public forum as well. As a performer, we have an obligation to the public to put out a useful product and do it in an entertaining manor.
Music doesn't hurt pople - the writers of the crap do....does....whatever.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 01-16-2002).]

#199009 - 01/16/02 10:42 AM Re: The King
flowerssupply Offline

Thank you Dave for your beautiful reply. I have a real point to make but its getting lost in it all. I wish to have a careing relationship with you a second at a time -- I had a hope in it all that we could look dispasionately at some songs -- I perhaps should have overlooked for ever and ever amen as it is indeed a lovely song (But). I sing some trash. I do not wish to try and make my point any further. I want you to know however that when I said I,d like a list of good songs it was with faith in your ability to help - I really hope you didnt think I was saying your chioces are bad. I was also hoping to look at a few issues in some of the "good songs" --anyway I am really glad of your efforts. You mention our responsibilities and I agree so perhaps when we have more time we could jointly look at some of them. Hopeing that our relationship lasts for ever and ever amen best wishes Pierce.

#199010 - 01/16/02 03:15 PM Re: The King
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Getting back to Fran's original thread, do we all remember where we were and what we were doing when we got the news?
Me: 30,000 ft. travelling from Vancouver to Toronto.

#199011 - 01/17/02 11:45 AM Re: The King
flowerssupply Offline

Leon I can remember where I was last night, and I didnt drink since 1977. Pierce

#199012 - 01/17/02 11:47 AM Re: The King
flowerssupply Offline

Amend can to cant in my last reply-- it seems I cant even spell now. Best wishes Pierce

#199013 - 01/17/02 12:45 PM Re: The King
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ironically, I was with a band in Arkansas, doing an Elvis Show! We did two of the shows a night, and played dance music the other two hours.
DonM

#199014 - 01/17/02 12:58 PM Re: The King
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Hello Arrangereers!

Rest assured, all is well. At this very moment, the top government science lab in the U.S.A. is working on a very secret assignment - one that will ROCK the world. They have already produced human embryos from hair, finger nail, and skin fragments of Elvis Presley. That's right, there may be as many as 15 or 20 baby Elvis Presleys on their way down the birth canal. These human clones won't be Elvis but they will be EXACT COPIES OF ELVIS - his hair, face, body, eyes, and inherited mannerisms will all be genuine Elvis. So, sit back and relax 'cause a chunk o' burnin' love is comin' your way!

Steve

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online