SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#20077 - 03/02/00 03:36 PM Kurzweil or Korg ?
YtseJam Offline

Loc: Slovenia
Hi ! I'm buying a new synth. I wanna know if
Kurzweil ( 2500X, 2500R modul ) is better than new korg synth triton pro x ?
How much cost K2500X, K2500R and Korg triton pro x ?
I've heard some demo mp3s of korg triton. first thing i noticed it has lausy piano sound. is this true ?
thanks

Simon
p.s : check my GREAT midis on www.dreamtheater.net ( try liquid tension experiment ones ) - author :simon novak

#20078 - 03/02/00 08:09 PM Re: Kurzweil or Korg ?
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
Hmm, youre talking about 2 great synths so this will be alittle difficult.

I own K2500XS with all of the upgrades and am very happy with it. Its strengths are the sound quality, flexibility with editing sampling and sequencing. It has a powerful multi effects processor known as KDFX. The power of the sampler and sample RAM can give you virtually any sound you want. If its not in the ROM programs, there is a infinite library of sounds and samples you can purchase, download from the internet. Plus the power of VAST gives you the ability to use the ROM to create your own programs and the possibilities are endless. The K2500 has built in SCSI connections, 8 outputs and fiber optic coax output. K2500 can read Akai, .wav, ROland and Ensoniq.

Now for the downsides. Its expensive, not only for the synth but the upgrades. Also many say that the 48 note polyphony is a small set back. I dont find this to be a major issue, some, however do.

Basically the Triton has similar qualities to the K2500, it is less expensive, but I find the programs(like you had mentioned) to be weak, repetitive and extremely midrange.
Triton DOES have 64 note polyphony and also a built in vocoder and sampler. I played around with its sample mode and found its editing features to be quite limited. I dont own the Triton but I have heard many positive aspects of it which once again are similar to Kurzweil.

You should play around with both synths and make the decision for yourself. You can come to a conclusion much faster by getting the hands on experience. Good Luck.

#20079 - 03/03/00 09:25 AM Re: Kurzweil or Korg ?
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hi,

Korg Triton (and the Trinity which I own) have terrible pianos. They are really bad. For background stuff they are okay. Anywhere you want the piano to stand out, you'll be disappointed if the piano sound is important to you.

While I'm partial to the Yamaha digital pianos (like the P-200 and up), the Kurz is okay and much better than the Triton piano IMHO.

You have more of an ability to grow with Kurz IMHO than you do with the Triton. Using VAST, you can get completely new sounds from the built-in ROMs as well as samples. The sample editor is better on the Kurz too as is the sequencer and its controller features.

The biggest drawbacks on the Kurz are the cost (of it and the upgrades) and the limited polyphony in comparison to other synths. It should have at least 64 note polyphony.

In terms of power the Kurz is more powerful. You need to decide if you need that power or, even if you like the sound. The Triton sounds more digital and processed while the Kurz is warmer sounding. Both are great synths though.

Fernando

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online