SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#20133 - 02/25/00 11:34 PM Is the K2500R worth getting?
Dion Offline

Loc: San Francisco CA USA
That module is so damn expensive!!! I've heard good things about it and was able to fool around with the K2500 workstation and listen to some of the sounds and shit. I liked what I heard. I gotta get the rack version though because I don't have room for another actual keyboard. Anyway ... what else should I know about the K2500R that would make me wanna buy it?

#20134 - 02/26/00 09:02 AM Re: Is the K2500R worth getting?
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hi Dion,

It *is* expensive. There were a few on eBay recently selling for $1500 if you're trying to cut down on costs. Also, if you plan on expanding it, you're better off buying a K2600R instead. It is the newer version of it, but has a redesigned board inside. It comes with the KDFX option built in and the piano daughterboard which is required to put in the Contemporary ROM or Orchestral ROM boards. It also has space for 2 additional ROM expansions.

Also, it gets rid of the internal Digitech FX unit which was noisy anyway. The K2600 has a better sound. Also, all of the internal ROM sounds are the same as the K2500.

There's my selling of it (no, I'm not associated with Kurz in any way). I actually don't own one yet but am saving up for a K2600 (or K3000 if it is available by AES in Oct.). One thing to note is that currently, all of these boards have a maximum of 48 notes of polyphony. If this is too little for you, you may want to look elsewhere unless you totally love the sound. With VAST synthesis these machines are powerful. However, I'm not foolish enough to think that they can do it all well.

HTH and good luck with your buy.
Fernando

#20135 - 02/26/00 09:28 AM Re: Is the K2500R worth getting?
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
A K2500 rackmount is definetly worth getting. Price has always been an issue with me, it seems that Kurzes products are up there, but their power, flexability and expandability make them some of the most powerful synth/workstations available today.

I agree with the above post though, if you really want more power, save up a little more for the K2600. I have a K2500 and while Im extremely happy with it, Im still kicking myself in the ass for not waiting on more info for the K26.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online