SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#202284 - 08/23/04 09:05 AM A few things need mentioned about the Casio WK's
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Folks I have to point out a few things about the Casio WK's that don't really seem to get much attention (where it's truly deserved). First off I am still very satisfied with making the switch and dropping my PSR-550. The Casio has one HUGE feature that I think should be noted and that's the ability to import what Casio calls "Tone With Wave". This feature is awsome. Using the Casio software you can import new sounds, drum loops, ect., and use them for performance play or recording, and you can use the voice editing parameters to edit your imported sample.

Secondly, the ability to create a pattern from a mid file is really cool. The board doesn't record styles, but you can record your own short compositions, save them as midi files, and then use the Casio software to convert it to a user style.

Third, I have to say I was quite impressed with the GM voices on the WK's. They are much better than I expected them to be.

Even though the board records 7 tracks (one pattern and 6 melody) you can still buy a computer based sequencer for midi recording and get much more powerful recording features for way less than a new board.

Just thought I'd share these with the forum.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#202285 - 08/23/04 09:16 AM Re: A few things need mentioned about the Casio WK's
BillErickson Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon USA
Good points, Squeak. I've been going back and forth trying to decide between the Casio WK series and an older PSR-thousand series model, and that Tone With Wave feature was quite enticing. I finally went with a PSR2000 I picked up on eBay, but it was a tough call. Especially considering the bang-per-buck ratio on those Casios. I still might pick up a Casio CTK-691 some day for a travel keyboard, which uses the same sound engine as the WK series, but in a smaller 61-key format.

#202286 - 08/23/04 09:21 AM Re: A few things need mentioned about the Casio WK's
squeak_D Offline

My suggestion is if you can find a WK (used) or for a really good price give Dan0 a call, I'd buy one of these models. The CTK is nice, but it doesn't offer a pitchbend wheel. Either WK will give you 76 full size keys (which would make a great controller for the PSR-2000), and you'll get the wheel or wheels.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#202287 - 08/23/04 09:27 AM Re: A few things need mentioned about the Casio WK's
BillErickson Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon USA
True, but I'm looking for a *travel* board that I can bring on trips, and those extra 15 keys and the box to hold them make for a much bigger package!

#202288 - 08/23/04 09:27 AM Re: A few things need mentioned about the Casio WK's
squeak_D Offline

Ahhhh travel board. Then the CTK would be a good board for that.

Squeak

#202289 - 08/23/04 10:42 AM Re: A few things need mentioned about the Casio WK's
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
Squeak,

The older WK series I think is much inferior compared to the WK3000. I could not stand the piano sounds on the previous series WK1600, etc. I would not recommend anybody buying the older models. They will thoroughly disappointed especially comparing to some of the the pro-quality sounds that the new one has.

#202290 - 08/23/04 12:38 PM Re: A few things need mentioned about the Casio WK's
squeak_D Offline

I too was suggesting the newer WK's.. The older models aren't really in the same playing field as the newer models.

Squeak

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online