SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#20375 - 01/05/00 11:31 PM What went wrong with the pc88
BIGDOG Offline

Loc: RICHMOND, VIRGINIA,USA
everytime I walk into a music store I always see a PC88 ceing repaired.It's a great piano but waht happened?

#20376 - 01/06/00 04:03 PM Re: What went wrong with the pc88
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
The key action on the PC-88 is said to unstable and the contacts wear easily. Ive heard so many people complain about this, but I know someone that has 2 in their studio and they never had a problem. And those things get played and banged about in his studio.

#20377 - 02/06/00 03:15 PM Re: What went wrong with the pc88
DanReese Offline

Loc: Erie, PA USA
I have owned a PC88mx for 3 years now. I got one of the newer keyboards with the new keybeds. I didn't have any trouble with it when I was using it in the studio but when I started taking it on the road, I had to have it reparied 4 times in the last year. It doesn't seem to hold up well under road conditions. I have a very good hardshell case and I'm the only one that handles it.

#20378 - 02/06/00 11:16 PM Re: What went wrong with the pc88
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
BigDog, if you are looking for a good Kurz piano, look out for the SP-88. It has said to have addressed the issues of the notorious PC-88 and put them to rest. The SP-88 is the newer version of the PC-88. I really dont know the other differences in hardware or price off the top of my head, but its on the Kurzweil website and on Mike Martins K2500 Zone(Kurzweil Connection). Also, check into the Micro-Piano as well.

#20379 - 02/07/00 04:09 PM Re: What went wrong with the pc88
Kurzrep Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
The SP series is not the direct replacement for the PC88 series. The sounds in the SP series are taken directly from the PC88 but its a much lighter keyboard action...hense a much more portable keyboard. The SP series does not have the controller features of the PC88 either. Again its a simple "stage piano" nothing more.

The PC2 series is the next generation of instruments based on the PC88 design. It does have a new weighted action keyboard that we're using in the K2600 series. In addition, ALL of the sounds in the PC2 are new (with only a couple exceptions). It has a new triple strike stereo piano, new stereo strings, new wurlizter and rhodes samples and much much more. It also can be upgraded to 128 voices of polyphony and two 16MB sound ROMs can be added to expanded it to 48MB. In addition it has Kurzweil's KB-3 Organ modeling system and effects processing based on the KDFX engine from the K2500/K2600 series. The PC2 has 6 pedal inputs, a breath controller input and a ribbon controller input. Last but not least the PC2 is the only keyboard on the market with a 24bit digital output. This thing sounds amazing!!!

For more information visit -
http://members.aol.com/kurzconnection

Visit the Kurzweil Connection
http://www.kurzweilconnection.com
and KeySolutions Sample Libraries
http://members.aol.com/keysolutns

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online