SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#20559 - 02/05/99 01:43 PM Is 24 polyphony too little on the K2000 for orchestra arrangements?
DonaldS Offline

Loc: USA
I'm considering purchasing a K2000. I will often be using it in place of an orchestra and yes, I do realize no synth can totally substitute for real instruments and musicians. I will be doing orchestra and big band arrangements for singers along with film scoring. Full orchestra sequences will be created and then they will be recorded for various uses.

I'm concerned that the 24 polyphony will be limiting when playing back sequences of orchestral arrangements through the K2000. How many instruments can the K2000 realistically play without any external modules? Is this maybe not the right keyboard/synth for my needs?

The K2500 or a K2000 plus a separate sound module is way out of my budget right now. The other alternative is a 64 polyphony Roland XP-80/60 with expansion cards.

Thanks for any advice.

#20560 - 02/06/99 01:18 AM Re: Is 24 polyphony too little on the K2000 for orchestra arrangements?
Jeff Costick Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
the k2500 is realy what you need. it's worth the investment and you won't out grow it but you be suprised what you can do with a fully loaded k2000. Go to www.sweetwater.com and down load thier audio clips and decide for yourself. hope this helps a little.

#20561 - 02/07/99 01:32 PM Re: Is 24 polyphony too little on the K2000 for orchestra arrangements?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I`ve had a problem with polyphony on my K2000s. While it`s a little different type of polyphony than most keyboards (the oscillators don`t take up voices, just samples, excepr 1 per midi channel). I`ve still had a good portion of clipping. The reason I`d get this is for the strings. The Orchestral expansion ROM is just amazing as well!!! Plus you can pick one up new for about $1200, with the sampling option. It`s defintely worth the money, but only if you use it in conjunction with other synths.

#20562 - 02/07/99 05:10 PM Re: Is 24 polyphony too little on the K2000 for orchestra arrangements?
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
I am using my k2000 for techno and
industrial dance music. The sequencer
built in is great for it. If you will be working
predominantly with classical music, the
k2000 is an excellent choice due to its
in house rombased samples and sample
upgrades that you can purchase. The
polyphony shouldnt be a concern either.
The main problem you might face with this
instrument is the capability of holding the
song in your sequencer. No matter how much you upgrade your Kurzweil, the keyboard cannot hold any object larger
than 64kb. The type of music Im working
on is generally less complex to classical
music, and at times I had run out of
space. The cure to this was to use
a computer based sequencer. I chose
cubase. Its the best on the market.

#20563 - 02/07/99 09:50 PM Re: Is 24 polyphony too little on the K2000 for orchestra arrangements?
Jeff Costick Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
to get around the 64k limit, use the arrange page to link the seq. together.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online