SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#24139 - 12/03/00 09:54 AM MOTU MicroExpress Console Error
OldSchool Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY USA
Folks:
I finally received my MOTU MicroExpress, and after a few head-scratchs and forehead-slaps (with appropriate "Duh!'s" thrown in), MIDI data patching through my sequencing software has suddenly gotten entirely too easy.

However, my dream of being able to edit channel patch configurations for storage on the unit (so it'll distribute patches without software participation) is still a-begging, since the Console program delivered with it gives me a general protection fault at start, and fails to run at all.

I've yet to hear from MOTU on the subject. Anybody else run into this? I find it interesting that MOTU's site doesn't even mention W98 (or beyond) anywhere, and their driver and console software for this unit are still in version 1.0 dated 1997. The site says (and I quote) "This is not an update. We post this driver here in case you ferret ate your floppy . . . " I smell a Mac conspiracy! ;-)

#24140 - 12/04/00 08:27 PM Re: MOTU MicroExpress Console Error
feefer Offline

Loc: XV-5080
Hi OS,

Glad to hear the box has made life easier.

Unfortunately. I bought my MIDI Express XT used over eBay (seller didn't have manual), so I have no advice.

MOTU will respond to your e-mail question, although it took them a few days to a week.

BTW the TD-10 is a worthy improvement, only when you install the TDW-1 expansion board. Both the TD-8 and -10 suffer from poor cymbal sounds (esp. ride), but the expansion card offers a significant improvement.

Chris

[This message has been edited by feefer (edited 12-04-2000).]

#24141 - 12/05/00 05:38 PM Re: MOTU MicroExpress Console Error
OldSchool Offline

Chris! Chris!
You're killin' me here, man! I've got a daughter in college! I can't afford the TD-10, not to mention adding things to it! Aaaaargh!

Little did they know that when my sibs got together and bought me a lowly Yamaha PSR-270 that they would propell their little brother on a path to financial rack and ruin! I'll stop exploring sound capabilities when they pry my credit cards from my cold, lifeless fingers!

To add insult to injury, I've started seriously writing songs again because of this stuff - something I haven't done since I quit club work 20 years ago! But I digress . . .

I've found that the cymbal sounds available in my JV-1010 have been pretty good, though not terribly plentiful. I infer from your remarks that the TD-10 is NOT much of an improvement over the TD-8 without expansion.

In the same general price area as the TD-8 is the Alesis DMPro, which is much favored by the drummers at my local music store - you have anything to add to their observations?

#24142 - 12/05/00 06:40 PM Re: MOTU MicroExpress Console Error
feefer Offline

Loc: XV-5080
OS,

Well, I guess you're not going to want to hear about how awesome the Roland XV-5080 with the SRX-02 "Dynamic Drums" card sounds?
Even beats the TD-10EX, IMO.

As a drummer, I'm a bit picky about drum sounds (and responsiveness of pad/module combo). For the money, The TD-8 really gives the unexpanded TD-10 a run for the money. Used TD-8's are in the $600 range.

The DMPro has some good sounds, but that depends on taste.... The DMPro has some features I dislike: that little Q rotary dial for editing in submenus, the fact sounds disappear for a few seconds while changing kits, etc.

I'm biased to Roland, just cuz' I like the V-Drum set-up.

I am an ex-pro too, who has found a technological re-birth and musical re-growth with the gear. I'm sure my financial analyst would recommend not wasting cash on stuff that depreciates so quickly, but.....

Chris

#24143 - 12/05/00 10:12 PM Re: MOTU MicroExpress Console Error
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
Hi, OldSchool,

I started drumming late last year. Since I am an older beginner, I chose to start with electronic kit so I can keep on practicing late at night. I went to local music stores to audition Alesis D4, DMPro, and Roland TD-8 (TD-10 is too expensive, out of my range). I found that although DMPro has some respectable cymbal sounds, its sounds on the whole is too bright, a little thin and uneven and DMPro lacks the features like the positional sensing of pads, cross sticks and other features of Roland's V-Drum brains. Roland TD-8 has much more even, well-balanced sounds with superb features. I like its desktop shape with sliders and big buttons that can be directly hit by drum sticks. I ordered it new from MidWest Percussion for $685 a year ago and never regreted. I think Chris is right about the drum sounds of SRX-02 "Dynamic Drums" card, but it costs much to get an XV synth and the card. I personally like real cymbals - my favorite is Paiste Signature Fast crash - transparent, good transient and fast peaking - suitable for light music studio work. I have not found anything on synths that has decemt cymbal rolls anyway - cymbal is probably one of the most difficult musical instruments to imitate due to its dynamics and variety in sounds.

Paul Ip
from Texas

#24144 - 12/06/00 03:28 PM Re: MOTU MicroExpress Console Error
OldSchool Offline

Chris/Paul:
Thanks for the postings . . . most informative.

I'm sure you're right about cymbal sounds, Paul - that's a very complex sound to reproduce well electronically. I also like the control panel of the Rolands, although since this thing is going in a rack, I'm going to need a drawer. Ah, well, can't have everything.

Of course, since neither of you guys live around the corner and up the street, my drum module will BE my drummer, so it's ability to handle triggers isn't quite as important. But it does seem like the Roland is easier to control. If its sound is more consistent and less thin, I'm sold.

You're right about instant obsolescence, Chris. Since computer technology is my day job, I know about that. In a year or so we'll have to do this all again, since by then nothing will leave the digital domain until there's a need to push a speaker cone . . .

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online