SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#24147 - 06/10/00 09:19 PM XP-30 Question...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have recently purchased an XP-30 synth and don't have too much knowledge of these things. What i was hoping is if someone could help me out w/ is letting me know how (if you can) "record" different parts on the synth to add (play with) other parts that you create. Any help is greatly appreciated! thanx...

#24148 - 06/11/00 01:43 AM Re: XP-30 Question...
pstares Offline

Loc: UK
Unfortunately the XP30 doesn't have a sequencer, which I believe is what you are trying to find. You'll either need to connect the XP30 to a computer with sequencing software (I'd recommend Cakewalk, Cubase or a cut down version such as Cubasis if you're a relative newcomer to sequencing) or if a computer's not available you'll need to buy a seperate hardware sequencer such as the Roland MC-80 to connect to your XP30, though in my opinion these are quite expensive and not as easy to use as a computer based package.

Hope this helps
Pete

#24149 - 06/12/00 01:34 PM Re: XP-30 Question...
d r e d Offline

Loc: Bryan, TX
dear LILLY:

forget all those before-mentioned programs, they are expencive, complex, and cumbersome.

what you need is a few cables, a WAV EDITOR and BUZZ digital composer:
http://www.buzz2.com/

it's shareware, and it's the most powerful software out there. I have tried recording samples with my CLAVINOVA, and then sequencing them in BUZZ. That would give you versatility to make your own samples, and sequencing them with ease and comfort. the only other thing you need to get is a METRONOME if you want to record beat0mntched samples, OR... if you want to just record a new vioce, by combining two separate synths, each playing the same note, you can do that, too, and record a sample that you can later on transpose using any decent keyboard (i don't know XP-30) and then play with. BUZZ is hard to figure out, and looks very complicated, yet once you figure it out (view the tutorial file that comes with it) you will be able to programm the music, and use it as a tool for producing songs.

If you are still skeptical, my mp3.com website features my songs that I did ENTIRELY with BUZZ. They all were before I got my CLAVINOVA. Chck it out at: http://www.mp3.com/ilyarostovtsev/

And I would defenately recommend connecting your equipment with your PC. The possibilities afterwards are endless!!!
/_/re/_/

#24150 - 06/12/00 04:24 PM Re: XP-30 Question...
pstares Offline

Loc: UK
Hi

Can't say I'd heard of this Buzz program that you speak so highly of in all your posts, but I took a look at the site and it appears to be a music tracker package as found on Amigas & Ataris back in the 1980s. Whilst it is possible to create respectable music on these, IMO these are better suited to the programming community rather than the more general music community due to the archaic nature in which notes / patterns are entered in a character-based grid format. To someone with little sequencing knowledge, this whole method of music entry must seem very idyosyncratic & to me seems a giant step back when compared to modern midi sequencers. To quote the Buzz web site:

> MIDI Support
>
> Although very limited, Buzz does support
> some forms of MIDI. The main MIDI support
> within Buzz is through that of "Continuous
> Controllers". This means that any
> parameter within Buzz may be tied to a
> knob or fader on any Hardware device.
> Note, these devices are currently quite
> expensive. We will be releasing plans on
> this site to build your own Midi knob box
> for under $100 US.

I can' think of a reason why would someone who's just spent a large amount of money on a pro-synth want to try to control it through a program with "limited" midi support, where the target market is clearly the electronics / computer based user (hence building your own I/O box from schematics!)?

Now I'm not scared of electronics or programming (as a matter of fact I'm an electronic engineering student), but a modern sequencer is _so_ much easier to use than any tracker program I've used and with far better sound quality.

I do understand there are plenty of people who do use tracker programs with good results, but for someone who's apparently quite new to the world of music technology I do not think it is really appropriate especially seing as it would effectively render the XP30 redundant.

Just my $0.02,
Pete

[This message has been edited by pstares (edited 06-12-2000).]

#24151 - 06/13/00 04:33 AM Re: XP-30 Question...
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
One option is if you do not use a computer get an external sequencer. I have a MC-50MKII and it makes a great scratch pad for sequencing. One other benefit is that it plays standard midi files so if you play out you do not need to bring a computer with you. Even if you do use a computer this sequencer is a great piece of backup gear. Ask how many people actually bring along a backup computer when playing out. Personally I use both Cakewalk and the MC50.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online