SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24162 - 08/30/00 07:03 AM JV-1010+SoundDiver+Sequencer
Magnus Nordén Offline

I use the bundled OEM Sdiver to control my JV-1010. What I want to do is run the Sdiver at the same time as my sequencer (XG-Works 3.05), so that I can apply changes to the JV-1010 synth in real-time. Can this be done, and if so, how? When I try it either Sdiver doesn't find the JV-1010, or my sequencer cannot open the MIDI in and out ports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Magnus

#24163 - 08/30/00 07:46 AM Re: JV-1010+SoundDiver+Sequencer
sav Offline

yes ive had the same problem, i think its because both your sequencer and sounddiver are trying to use the same midi-ports, and if your soundcard is anything like mine (a soundblaster) its not multi-client compatable, which i think basically means only one program can use the ports at once. i used hubis loop-back device for a while so both programs could 'share' the midi in and out, but ive now ordered the 8 pin / 9 pin lead of roland so im thinking sounddiver can communicate to the 1010 via that, and (cubase in my situation) can use the midi ports on my sound card in the normal way to play the 1010. im not 100% sure if this will work - ill let u know when i get the lead through.

#24164 - 08/30/00 10:40 AM Re: JV-1010+SoundDiver+Sequencer
Roberto Saralegui Offline

Loc: Zaragoza (Spain)
I'm afraid not, sav; the JV 1010 can only use one of both inputs at a time, namely, the one you select with the switch at the back side.

#24165 - 08/30/00 10:51 AM Re: JV-1010+SoundDiver+Sequencer
sav Offline

thanks for that mate that was pretty daft of me not to realise. does that mean cubase can send / recieve messages to the 1010 down this serial port cable as well as sounddiver?

#24166 - 08/30/00 01:17 PM Re: JV-1010+SoundDiver+Sequencer
Magnus Nordén Offline

Thanks for all the above. However, how did you set Hubi's up - and did everything work alright?

Magnus

#24167 - 08/31/00 03:12 PM Re: JV-1010+SoundDiver+Sequencer
sav Offline

hi mate. yeah i installed hubis and selected my input as LB1 and my ouput as the midi out on my soundcard. I then told cubase and sounddiver i wanted to use LB1 as the midi out, and both programmes shared the port.

go here for the prog
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/2872/hmidilb/hmdlpbk.html

#24168 - 09/02/00 08:32 AM Re: JV-1010+SoundDiver+Sequencer
Sarah B Offline

Loc: Bath, Somerset, UK
Sav,

Did this enable you to edit the JV in realtime? Could you tweak the sounds using SoundDiver while the JV was playing a midi sequence initiated by Cubase?
I've got a soundblaster S/C and I couldn't get it to work. I was using hubu's loopback to get the programs to share the serial port (I've got the cable) rather than the S/C's midi port. Maybe this is why I couldn't get it working?
To be honest I was fumbling around a bit and found it all a tad confusing. I could have set it up wrong.
In theory, is it possible to have Cubase and SoundDiver runing together, and be able to edit the JV in realtime?

#24169 - 09/03/00 12:52 AM Re: JV-1010+SoundDiver+Sequencer
Magnus Nordén Offline

Hi Sav and thanks for all the help! I still haven't tried configuring my software(s) - but continue to use the 1010 one voice at a time alongside my Yamaha SW1000.

Regarding Sarah's question: It seems like you have to go into the win.ini file on your system to do some editing relating to SoundDiver. I have not tried this yet, but I posted this same question on the SoundDiver Users' news group, and got a (rather more detailed) reply from Michael Haydn at E-magic. If you go to http://www.egroups.com/group/sounddiver-users you can see for yourself what you need to do (according to E-magic) to make SoundDiver work properly together with another MIDI application.

All the best,

Magnus

#24170 - 09/03/00 03:35 AM Re: JV-1010+SoundDiver+Sequencer
sav Offline

sarah - did you have the switch on the 1010 on the back set correctly so you were telling it you didnt want to use midi, but the computer port? on mine, both programmes were sharing the output on my soundcard and it seems to work, but the slightly weird way the 1010 seems to work means you use a temporary storage space to edit the sound. it seems its not until youve transmitted the sound back to the 1010 and releselected the patch using the value wheel that you hear your edited sound being used - unless im being incredibly stupid and not noitced theres some kind of 'realtime' mode or something in Sound Diver??

i saw your message magnus - has anyone tried what that michael said? im still pretty confused by it all...

#24171 - 09/03/00 04:11 AM Re: JV-1010+SoundDiver+Sequencer
Sarah B Offline

Loc: Bath, Somerset, UK
Thanks for the link Magnus!

I'm about to have a go at setting up Hubis and disabling the ports in Sound-diver. No doubt I'll fail miserably, and be posting again soon!!
By the way, I assume you followed the instructions - did you succeed? Can you now edit your JV in realtime?

Anyway, here goes!

Sarah

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online