SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#24229 - 10/04/02 06:41 AM using computer-based sequencer with XP60
KC26 Offline

Okay, I've owned my XP-60 a couple of years, and I still haven't gotten the hang of the darn thing. I use it off and on, and sometimes go weeks or months away from it, and each time I come back, I have to re-learn it. It is SO much harder to use than my ancient JW50 - it seems to use a completely different logic.

I love the sounds, and have filled it up with expansion boards, but I'm fed up with the usability problems I keep facing. So I'm thinking it's time for plan B. I'm very good with computers, and am thinking I might be better off using a computer to sequence the XP. I've got a decent PC with plenty of horsepower, so now I'm wondering, what's the best tool to use?

I'm interested both in pure sequencing software, and also in home recording software. I have a Roland digital multitrack recorder, but it's fairly hard to use, too, so I'm willing to do all my recording on my PC if necessary, although it would be a shame for the Roland multitrack to go unused. Oh well, there's always eBay...

So how about it? Anybody using sequencing software to drive their XP?

Thanks in advance!

-KC

#24230 - 10/14/02 09:53 AM Re: using computer-based sequencer with XP60
raisindot Offline

Honestly, I don't know how you could have gone all these years using a hardware-based sequencer--for me, they're impossible.

Which is why I've always been a Cakewalk user. (I'm going to assume you're a PC user; if you're a Mac user this may not be relevant) The nice thing about the newer version of Cakewalk (and most of sequencers) is that they can record both MIDI sequences and audio. So, for example, you can record the output of your XP onto one track and add a vocal track to another. To do this, you'll need some kind of audio interface. If you have a newer generation sound card, it will probably do the trick. You also need to have a pretty modern PC (with at least 128mb RAM minimum) to be able to handle all of the processing.

I've just gotten into sound recording, and my strategy is going to be to record my MIDI and audio tracks first onto my Roland VS-840EX, and then transfer that audio into my computer for eventual pressing onto CD. I could record all of my sounds directly into the computer, but I keep my "big" computer in my study, and my MIDI rig in the basement. Plus, I just feel comfortable "singing" into a computer.

Anyway, the one thing you'll have to get used to with sequencing software of any kind is the concept of "Performances." If you want your XP to play multitimbrally, you'll need to understand how to set up "performances" where each "part" (guitar, bass, drums, etc.) you want to sequence is assigned to a separate MIDI channel. Then you record each part separately into your software sequencer, creating a template that reflects your "performance." There's a bit of a learning curve there, but once you "get" it it becomes second nature.

If you have more questions about this kind of stuff, you can e-mail as raisindot@yahoo.com. I'm no expert on this stuff, but I'm learning as I go along and can help understan what you're in for when you make the transition to software-based sequencing...

Jeff

#24231 - 10/26/02 08:11 AM Re: using computer-based sequencer with XP60
Dave Morris Offline

Loc: Sunbury-on-Thames, Middlesex, ...
I personally trust the hardware sequencer more than the PC one. Configuration problems, loads of tweaking and setting up and susceptibility to virus' are the woes typical of a PC based system. Hardware sequencer's are preset and ready.

Also wouldn't you agree that the utilising the hardware sequencer on a workstation synth like the XP60 is essential. How portable is a PC based sequencer + music hardware compared to the XP60 alone?

2 years experience of XP60 sequencing is enough experience. What I tend to do is compose on Cakewalk and then save as midi with sysex. It's then the XP can become a wonderful live control synth.

Bless this brilliant BBS

#24232 - 11/06/02 12:37 PM Re: using computer-based sequencer with XP60
KC26 Offline

Dave - I am far more adept with computers than with my XP60, since I use computers daily, all day long. And my keyboard stays at home - I don't gig with it, so portability is not a concern.

What really frustrates me is that my previous Roland (I think it was called a JW50) was VERY easy to sequence, whereas I've never fully gotten comfortable with the XP60, which makes it SO much harder. I'm pretty technical, and it still stymies me. That's why I'm basically giving up, and planning to use it as the world's largest sound module.

[This message has been edited by KC26 (edited 11-06-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online