SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#24254 - 08/31/01 03:32 AM SOUNDCARDS
DODO Offline

How many of you buy soundcards?Do you prefer to update your machine with a soundcard or replace it with a new machine?Which soundcards do you like and what price do you feel is fair to pay?
Would you buy third party cards or only manufacturer endorsed?Is the soundcard commercially viable or would a floppy suffice?
Doin a review,need the input.Thnx.

#24255 - 09/02/01 03:10 PM Re: SOUNDCARDS
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
I take it you mean 'soundcards' as in PCM expansion boards, and patch data cards for Roland synths, so those tinny noise making devices that computers have?

I've had patches from Roland, and 3rd party programmers, both on cards, and disks. I tend to find you get about a third real nice patches, another third average, but useable, and the remaining third will be crap you'll never use..
As far as I know, only Roland make the PCM data cards, and they tend to be few usable, plus you decide what style of sounds you after.
Now we have you Internet, and you can download tons of patches, some of which may well be commercially available patches that have been 'accidentally uploaded to a site. You will find that the 'third' rule still applies, and you have to find the diamonds within the rough.

I myself tend to hang to my kit instead of 'keeping up with the Jones', hell I'm still using my D-50, and D-110.

------------------
The Sonic Energy Authority - a sound investment

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online