SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#24297 - 10/04/99 01:08 PM Re: JV1080 vs 2080 MIDI Timing
dnorth Offline

Sadly, almost nothing (I did say almost) sounds like a roland. Roland's sound quality is still tops with me, but I have to agree- for the money I paid, I want 16 working well timed channels, not 4 or 5 (do a heavy string backing and you're lucky to get 3 channels).
It's pretty bad when even the demos have poor timing.

I appreciate the suggestions for using other synths, but NO ONE should have to. I have 4 other synths, some costing half as much as my JV, but they have no problem with timing--- but on the flip side, none of them sound near as good as the roland.

Maybe roland was us to buy multiple jv/xp synths....*sigh*

#24298 - 10/09/99 11:54 PM Re: JV1080 vs 2080 MIDI Timing
Dani Offline

Loc: Sweden
Itīs now clear that every synth/sound module of the JV-XP series (XP-50, 60, 80, 30, JV-1080 ,2080 and 1010) has the same problem with timing.
But still thereīs something more on the JV-2080 in comparison to the 1080! The 2080 has to handle more information which makes it slower, though they use the same processor.
You can read a reply on this matter that I posted to DJ Wunder on synthzone on the 1st of may 1999. The fact that the same sequence works better on a JV-1080 than on a 2080 says it all.

Could a new Roland synth/module (JV-3080?) on the market solve these problems?
Well, one thing is for sure! Then I would have to choose between -keeping the old synth/module and keep on feeling cheated; or feel forced to buy a new one from the same people whoīd been cheating me. And thatīs no good solutions!?

So I say ROLAND- donīt put more sh** on the market before you FIX this first!!! And that NOW!

PS.on the problem- These synths can surely get completly out of timing and you don't have to be a professional to hear it. When you really get to know how to do, to make these failures show up, you probably won't believe your hears. I didn't..!
I can hear it already by using TWO voices at the same time which means that these synths can never playback a song in the right way. Even LIVE it won't respond exactly to your playing. So there are no workarounds!
Well.., Roland could have marketed these synths as Solo-synths or as 64-voice synths with a warning for playing more than one note at the same time!

#24299 - 10/14/99 03:32 PM Re: JV1080 vs 2080 MIDI Timing
Anonymous
Unregistered

On timing...

Maybe I am out of the track but...

Using A PII 350 whith an (superMPU64) usb interface.

I had similar problems with timing and, in my case, the problem seems to be the folling

I have a virus sheeld (norton) and after long and hard tests, I came to the conclusion that the antivirus slowes (ALL) operations on my computer.

I desactivate, it when I am in music session. Curiously, I did'nt have any timing problems since!!!

#24300 - 10/15/99 08:59 PM Re: JV1080 vs 2080 MIDI Timing
DanO Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have been using a D-50 and D-70 for the longest time and have always heard about timing problems with the D-70. I purchased a JV-2080 about a year ago, and have been totally amazed at the power, including the timing. I have used it with an MC-50 and have never experienced the problem as described by all the other posts. I am just now starting to integrate a computer into the setup, so I don't have any experience with timing and software sequencers, but with my MC-50, I have had fairly complex sequences and have never had a problem with timing. Perhaps I am just used to the slower responses of my older gear. But as far as I am concerned, the JV-2080 is a power house that definitely lives up to my expectations. I was involved in a CD project that used a JV-1080, JV-2080, & Akai S-2000 sampler. With this combination, all the music was composed and recorded, usually as virtual tracks exclusively. We didn't run into the timing problems as others are complaining about. I am not trying to say it doesn't exist for them, I am just saying that I have never experienced it myself. I have gotten complex sequences with the D-70 alone, so the JV-2080 was a big step up for me.

#24301 - 10/16/99 06:04 PM Re: JV1080 vs 2080 MIDI Timing
Totty Offline

Loc: Farncombe
Whilst I respect you're views I would have to disagree with regard to complex sequences. I myself have a D110, JD990 as well as a JV2080. With no doubt the least responsive by a long way is the JV2080. The JD990 and D110 can handle anything within their voicing limits.

I find one that when I use fast LFO'S with portamento on four voice patches and drums that timing is extremely slack.

All I would say is that I wonder how new your 2080 is. It may be that Roland have fixed this problem since I and other owners have purchased the synth.

Despite this I have no problem admiting how utterly fantastic the module is in every other way - however since timing is such an important part of music it is extremely disconcerting.

#24302 - 10/16/99 08:24 PM Re: JV1080 vs 2080 MIDI Timing
DanO Offline

How do I find out what version I have? I am curious to find out if possibly it is a newer version. I would have no clue about that.

As far as my previous post, what I was trying to say was that the D-70 was notorious as well for timing problems, and I worked around it. Maybe my mixes weren't as complex as what everyone else is creating, I am not quite sure. I have been told that I get alot of sound out of the few modules I do have.

As I stated before, perhaps I am just accustomed to the timing of the older gear and therefore never noticed the problem. I am not trying to say anyone doesn't have a valid point to complain about the timing of their JV-2080s, I am just saying that I never noticed it. Also, perhaps the music I am personally creating isn't as reliant on exact timing as others. I really don't know. I like to think I am a very critical person with respect to timing and music.

Maybe there is a timing difference with software sequencers and hardware sequencers, because you have to factor in the extra connection to the computer. I have always used a hardware sequencer, the MC-50. That unit is dead on, as far as I know.

If you have any idea about how to find out what version I have, please let me know. Also, I am always interested to hear what music everyone is creating. I am curious how complex people are getting with their gear. Please let me know. Thanks and have a great day!

#24303 - 10/17/99 01:12 PM Re: JV1080 vs 2080 MIDI Timing
Totty Offline

To find out your ROM version on the 2080 keep holding INC, DEC and VALUE and power up, it will then say "wait a while...." Then you are in to the setup utility.

My unit has CPU.ver 1.00, PUB.ver 1.02, and ROM.ver 0053.

I would be intrigued to see what yours is.

PLEASE NOTE: BACK UP ALL YOUR USER PRESETS BEFORE DOING THIS OPERATION.

#24304 - 10/17/99 02:20 PM Re: JV1080 vs 2080 MIDI Timing
DanO Offline

Well I checked and apparently have the same unit as you. Maybe I am using my other units more and have not noticed a timing problem because I don't use the JV-2080 as extensively as you do. I still think that I am used to the timing of my older gear, so I didn't notice anything different with the JV-2080.

The CD project I was involved with, though, included a JV-1080 and a JV-2080 (neither of them mine) and we didn't come across any timing issues.

This is disappointing to know that I can look forward to midi slop if I try to use the module for very note intensive music. Do you think the difference could be the computer connection?

I would be interested to know what computer and midi device you are using, because I am trying to integrate my setup with a computer and don't understand all the connections needed. I have put that aside to play on the internet anyway, but I am looking to get serious with my setup once again. I have a Pentium III 600Mhz computer and a MOTU MTP-AV midi merger. The sequencer program I am attempting to learn (though this is very difficult) is Cubase VST/24.

I notice that the response of the sequencer itself is not the greatest--the metronome and sequences don't start and stop exactly when I press start/stop. I have never had this problem with my MC-50. I am thinking that perhaps this is common with software sequencers and is causing the midi timing problems with the JV-2080. Just a thought. Aside from the start and stop of the sequence, I haven't noticed any timing anomalies.

#24305 - 10/17/99 06:09 PM Re: JV1080 vs 2080 MIDI Timing
Totty Offline

I am using a Pentium 200mmx with a Midiman 2in/4out interface. I have, in my opinion extensively tested the 2080 in every conceiveable scenario available to me. By that I mean my soundcard midi interface, a mate's mac, my mac and also directly from a controller keyboard. I believe that although software sequencers aren't the tightest they could be (I use cubase VST 3.7 on the PC), that it has nothing to do with this.

An interesting point mentioned by another person here was that the JV1080 is not as bad. I haven't had the opportunity to try this but I have thought of reasons for this in relation to the differences.

1) Having 8 Expansion slots rather than four (I can't see this having an effect-especially as I have one expansion board).

2) Effects: 3 EFX may have some bearing in Performance mode (where timing is worse). This may be because the effects routing is more complex.

3) Effects ii : When I did speak to one half decent guy at Roland- (I did say half!) he was saying that the 32bit Risc cpu handles EVERYTHING. Now if "everything" involves the effects then that is two more chunks of effects processing to handle. I personally can't see one processor doing that amount more without completely screwing the whole machine up - but it is still a possibility.

4) The screen: This may seem trivial but surely the 2080 has more screen processing to do (Full graphical display, lots of info at once etc. This could have an impact on available audio processing power.

Whilst I appreciate that no one really cares what the technical breakdown of why this problem occurs (after all isn't this supposed to be about music!!!!) However I for one would like to see Roland admit to their mistakes and explain to it's customers why they screwed up. Treating people like me with contempt when I phone up just makes the situation worse.

I just want as many owners as possible to read this and take it for what it is. That is the only way anything will happen.....

#24306 - 10/19/99 11:43 PM Re: JV1080 vs 2080 MIDI Timing
Dani Offline

Loc: Sweden
After all the mails and lots of opinions on this matter, I think it's important not to lose the thread and remember that The timing problems we've been talking about, resides in the sound module of the JV/XP itself and are due to bad processor power.
It has nothing to do with: Midi slowdowns or hardware/software sequencer problems. (which are more specific to the XP-50,60 and 80,-but that's another sad story...!!)

So there's nothing we can do about it!
Only the constructers -the japanese Roland- can fix this...but I don't think they will, as long as there is people buying these modules; and as long as there is people saying they are OK, too.

There might be some people who's satisfied and accept these synths for being 10- or maybe 20-voice modules and not 64.That's up to them and it's OK with me, but I can't accept it myself.
I bought mine as a unit with 64 simultaneous polyphonic notes and nothing else. Besides- 64 "healthy" voices!!Not sick ones!!

Calling up Roland and complaining about it, it's no use. They'll always turn you down and tell some kind of a story-bla, bla...
So I did following instead: I put some examples of the timing errors on a disk and sent it to Roland.
These examples were so perfect and clear that Roland could do nothing but recognize that the "blistering speed processor" (as they call it) was really bad.

But recognizing the problem didn't help me att all!!
What I mean is that they should fix it so I can use the 64-voices I've payed for.

I recommend anyone who is discontent with these products to claim that too.
Only by warning people for these defects, and by massive complaints can we make Roland do something about it.

Finally- it's hard to believe that these fantastic modules have such a miserable defect.

PS. 1- I was about to write that the ROM version won't help the problem, but I can read it already on the last mails!
2- I find Tottys reflections, about the 2080 being slower than the 1080, very wise.
I might as well say that Roland itself recognized (besides admiting the defects on the JV/XP series) that the 2080 was slower than the 1080.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online