SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#24319 - 03/20/00 04:49 PM XP Series And Sampling.
epu Offline

Okay, we know that it is impossible to import samples in the XP and that it is impossible to re-write the XP's ROM so it could.

What about the Expansion SLots though. Follow me on this one. Could it be theoretically possible to write some kind of program and install it on a "new" expansion board ROM to insert in an expansion slot so that the XP can import samples off of a Floppy into RAM installed on the Board.

For example, the SRJV80 boards have 8MB of info right? Imagine having a program installed in say 0.5 MB of ROM on the board and having 7.5 MB or RAM on the board to write samples or new waveform too. That would drive XP users insane? We would be able to use samples on this board.

Okay, 7.5 MB is not a lot of RAM to play with today, but remember, the Yamaha SY85 had 0.5 MB of RAM to play with. 7.5 could go a long way!

Just food for thought! Somebody present this idea to Roland!

The Infamous EPU.

#24320 - 03/22/00 06:25 PM Re: XP Series And Sampling.
epu Offline

C'mon somebody, please respond!!

#24321 - 03/22/00 07:34 PM Re: XP Series And Sampling.
Wilkes Offline

Loc: Wilkesboro, NC, USA
OK, here's a shallow reply to get things started...I know absolutely nothing about programming (in "computer" language), software development, etc. so it is difficult for me to comment on the possibility of "pseudosampling" on the XP-80. To do what you mentioned, wouldn't there have to be extensive OS revisions? Then, would there be sufficient processing power left for the 80 to do everything else it does (well)? If you meant being able to sample audio onto an 8 mb exp board, all 80's would have to be fitted with input jacks and the proper connections between these and the "guts" (motherboard, expansion board, or whatever) of the synth would have to be made. If you meant just loading audio files from floppy to the 8 mb board, I guess the reprogramming I mentioned earlier would have to make the XP-80 able to read various audio file types. Maybe I just don't understand exactly what you are saying, though!

I'm hoping that Roland will, at least, release something like an "XVS-76" or an "XPV-80": a 76 key workstation with the ability to read Akai, Roland and .wav files like the new XV synths are reported to be able to do. It would be better to have something like a 76 key XV synth with the XP/MC-80 sequencer and a good sampler all on board for my purposes.

#24322 - 03/22/00 08:28 PM Re: XP Series And Sampling.
Arvon45 Offline

Loc: USA
wilkes:

you will need to go to Kurz or Korg for that route..........

#24323 - 03/23/00 04:03 AM Re: XP Series And Sampling.
Wilkes Offline

Loc: Wilkesboro, NC, USA
Yeah...I own a K2000S already but do not use it's sequencer. I'm just anxious to see what Roland's contribution to the sampling workstation niche will be.

#24324 - 03/28/00 02:56 AM Re: XP Series And Sampling.
Arvon45 Offline

Loc: USA
Wilkes-

Roland hasn't done anything fresh or innovative for years. I wouldn't count on it.

Why bother waiting for Roland when so many better boards are out there, like Kurz, TRITON, ect.

The 1080, xp's are solid workhorses, but nothing amazing. In my opinion, the last interesting synth roalnd had was the d-50.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online