SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#24351 - 02/12/01 02:02 PM What are the major differences between JV1010 and SC880?
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I don't have much money and would like to buy a sound module. Currently I have a Casio wk1800 and a Fatar SL880. I want to play back MIDI file from disk on the Casio and play along with the MIDI tracks a sound module. I'm looking at the JV1010 and I like it but what I like about the SC880 is two MIDI inputs. I haven't heard the SC880 and have pretty much decided I like Roland's piano sounds and the piano in the Jv1010 is fine for me. But I'm wondering if the SC880 has as good as or better piano than the JV1010.

Anyone?

Thanks

RW

#24352 - 02/14/01 07:59 AM Re: What are the major differences between JV1010 and SC880?
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Ok, Sorry... let me be more specific since I have learned most of the features from shopping online. I haven't made a purchase yet but I am leaning towards the SC880 because it is/has 32 track multitimbral thing. And it has 2 midi inputs. So I'm guessing it can handle two different midi signals at the same time, ie two sequences or two voices. Maybe I want one of my keyboards playing a B3 and the other a piano but I don't want it really layered or split. I have a Casio WK1800 and a Fatar SL880 for the moment. I would like it if the SC880 has a good B3 and a good Piano to maybe play chords on say the Casio keyboard triggering the B3 sounds and at the same time play a melody on the Fatar triggering piano sounds from the SC880. It seemes to me that a sound module with only one MIDI in can't handle this.
But I'm also concerned that the SC880's piano may not be as good as the JV1010.

I'd also like to peice together the Casio, the Fatar, the sound module and a computer. With two midi ins on the sound module, I can see in my head the setup I want that will:
1) Fatar (has two midi outs), 1 midi out to sound module midi in - Allows me to trigger the s.m. to play sounds in the s.m.
2) S.M. midi thru to the Casio midi in - allows me to trigger Casio sounds by playing the Fatar. At this point I can layer the s.m. and the Casio , right?
3) Casio midi out to computer's midi in. - allows me to send midi to computer for sequencing.
4) Computer midi out to 2nd midi in in s.m. - allows me to playback sequences through s.m. which should sound better than the Casio. And since the Fatar is plugged into the other s.m. in I think I could play along with the sequence with the Fatar and if I wish I can layer in the Casio.

Does this make sense to anyone? This is how I envision my home set-up.

Then if I wanna gig (which may be rare), All I would really gig with would be the Fatar and the s.m. I could bring along the Casio if I want to playback sequences. Or I could just bring the Casio and the s.m. Depending on the type of gig I may not need the 88 weighted keys ya know?

I was also wondering if there are some type of A/B switched for midi cables. Ya know like the old cable TV A/B swithes? A swith like that would give me even a little more flexibility at the flip of a switch.

Hey listen, I know I'm asking alot. But would really appreciate anyone's patience and help in the matter. Perhaps I can re-pay the favor somehow.

Thanks again!
RW

#24353 - 02/14/01 12:28 PM Re: What are the major differences between JV1010 and SC880?
epu Offline

I'm exhasted and am at college typing this, so bear with me.

The JV1010 is a great module. You have the built in SESSION expansion board with great sounds, and if you've ever wanted a JV/XP unit for a real cheap price, then there it is. If you want to save money, so for it. The drums sets suck, but the session board will make up for it somewhat.

When you get extra cash, you could fill up the one expansion slot on the JV1010 with a board of your choice. I would recommend the SRJV80-10 Bass and Drums expansion board since it adds better bass and percussion, so good infact that if played properly will surely fool anyone.

The downside is that editing on the JV1010 is like a connundrum. It really can't be done. This is not a great live unit. Better use of it would be in the studio. A fabulous editor program is provided with it. You'd need a PC or MAC to take advantage. Once you use this program, you'd be in good hands.

The SC880 - This is a banging module. Best bang for the buck PERIOD - End of story. You don't have the deep programmability as you would on the JV, but you get over 1200 sounds, 43 drums kits, and the sounds are very good. Many of the osunds have been recycled from the JV series anyway.

The guitars rock, the drums are great, the Pianos and EPs are good too. You also get 5 independent effects processors, two midi inputs, and these can be assigned anyway you want them to.

The modules' dimensions are quite big. 1 rack space, but real lengthy in the deep department. It is very easy to get around on this module and all CC#, NRPN, etc. are supported on this module.

I have the Roland XP60 and the SC880 (like having a JV1010 and SC880) and find that they compliment each other very, very well. The best thing is to test these units out for yourself okay? Good luck.

The Infamous EPU.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online