SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#24400 - 11/18/00 02:24 PM That old devil called PERFORMANCE GROUPS again
Dave Morris Offline

Loc: Sunbury-on-Thames, Middlesex, ...
In reference to EPU's call for a new OS on the XP it got me thinking (easy now. I don't want to exert myself too much here)

PERFORMANCE GROUPS

I know Playing a Track you recorded in Performance Mode and then changing the Perf-Grp can lead to all kinds of messy arrangements if you're not regimental about the order of sounds.

I was wondering how individuals use them compared to me. I'm kinda into the band-in-a-box method and have groups such as "Retro-70's" or "Synth Trio".

I try to make it so that when I hop from one Perf-Grp to the other, assuming I have a bass sound in Part 8 of the first Perf-Grp then part 8 on the other will be a bass sound too, and so on.

Do you conform to this kind of regime? If not what do you do.

Thanks for reading.

ooŽ

[This message has been edited by Dave Morris (edited 11-18-2000).]

#24401 - 11/18/00 04:33 PM Re: That old devil called PERFORMANCE GROUPS again
epu Offline

Well, the only way around this is to set up your own USER performances.

Most of the presets use PART 2 as the Bass part. PART 10 is of course for the rhythm. I've also noticed that PART 3 is usually piano.

I always try to make sure that my performances go by a certain paradigm. I keep all of my pianos on PART 3, all of LEADS and FX SOUNDS on PART 1, BRASS on PART16, etc.

This is not the best way, but it lets me know that, if I sell my keyboard and get another one, I can just set the sounds accordingly on the new Keyboard/Module becuase I know where everything is.

The Infamous EPU.

#24402 - 11/19/00 01:13 AM Re: That old devil called PERFORMANCE GROUPS again
Dave Morris Offline

Loc: Sunbury-on-Thames, Middlesex, ...
Thanks for the info EPU.

Yes I never use the preset Perf-Grps.
I think a good User set perf-grp can really get the creative juices flowing, so to speak, and help you to almost visuaslize your soundscape.

Would you happen to know of any websites that you can download USER PERFOMANCE GROUP patch settings?

Seems quite a novel idea although some would say it'd be like stealing a players technique and tantamount to plagerism. Not me. Are we not creating new waveforms from samples set by others? I think it's just a simple help in hand to bridge the gap from idea to song.

ooŽ

[This message has been edited by Dave Morris (edited 11-19-2000).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online